Copyright Question

I've got a question I hope someone can answer. If I buy a rubber stamp from a craft store and use it on my pottery, is it legal for me to sell the pottery as my own work? I usually make my own stamps, but I might like to use a few commercial stamps as well. Thanks for your help.

Depends on the stamp. If it is a replica of someone elses registered trademark ... The answer is no.

If it imitates their registered logo such as ... "Life is Good" ... Then no you can't use it.

But if it is a cut out of a generic image then yes you can use it in your own creative fashion and call the result yours.

To my mind it is no different than using a found object for pattern or texture ... If I use the tread from an old tire it is also rubber, made by someone else ...

It's the way I use it that makes it mine.

I've got a question I hope someone can answer. If I buy a rubber stamp from a craft store and use it on my pottery, is it legal for me to sell the pottery as my own work? I usually make my own stamps, but I might like to use a few commercial stamps as well. Thanks for your help.

Stamp companys use something called an "Angel Policy". This link will give you more information about what an Angel Policy is and it has several pages listing the different stamp companys and their particular policy. I have found this link really helpful!

http://rubberstampin...AngelPolicy.htm

Archived