Did not fire underglaze to temp . . . now what?

destein

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I made a scattered-brained, last-minute change when bisque firing. Now I'm not sure what to do. Here's my predicament.

I usually bisque fire to cone 04. I had read that I could fire to cone 06 - 04 for bisque and decided to give it a try. I had not planned to load in my under glazed pieces into the that load. During the loading though, I was able to get more in the kiln than I anticipated. I added in some under glazed tiles to the kiln. But totally forgot to change my plans to fire to cone 06.

I'm using Amaco under glazes. According to the instruction on the label, the under glaze matures at cone 05. I only fired to cone 06. What should I do?

1. Refire to cone 05, then apply the clear glaze and fire to cone 6.
  2. Go to the next step. Apply the clear glaze, fire to cone 6 and hope for the best.
  3. Something else?

By the way, the colors on the under glazed tiles look vibrant.

Any advice would be warmly welcome.

Guest The Unknown Craftsman

If this were me, I would proceed with choice #2, especially if I liked the way the tiles looked right now.

There is only 60 F difference between 05 and 06, and I don't see that you will gain anything by refiring, it will take more time and energy.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived