Sign in to follow this  
chuchu174

spectrum pewter - huge craters

It appears to me that there is boiling or outgassing that creates the craters and they don't have a chance to smooth over and heal before cooling too much and freezing them in place. A 15-30 minute hold at the end might help that if you have the capability. The literature suggests a range of Cone 4 - 6. Where in the range did you fire? Was it crash cooled?

It appeared to me that this is a bowl. I read on a couple of suppliers sites that this glaze is not Dinnerware safe due to the possibility of leaching of heavy metals. I would keep it on the outside of any piece that might contain food.

I have a glaze I use frequently that develops craters and pits. I add more glaze and fire again. I have a bowl that will be on its 4th firing to get rid of the shrinking pits. Hopefully that will be the last one, as they are quite tiny after firing #3.

John

It appears to me that there is boiling or outgassing that creates the craters and they don't have a chance to smooth over and heal before cooling too much and freezing them in place. A 15-30 minute hold at the end might help that if you have the capability. The literature suggests a range of Cone 4 - 6. Where in the range did you fire? Was it crash cooled?

It appeared to me that this is a bowl. I read on a couple of suppliers sites that this glaze is not Dinnerware safe due to the possibility of leaching of heavy metals. I would keep it on the outside of any piece that might contain food.

I have a glaze I use frequently that develops craters and pits. I add more glaze and fire again. I have a bowl that will be on its 4th firing to get rid of the shrinking pits. Hopefully that will be the last one, as they are quite tiny after firing #3.

John

Thanks for the reply. This is fired to cone 6 with a 1 hour soak. I called Spectrum and am awaiting a reply on both the food safe question and the pitting question. I sent them pictures of the pitting which happens both on the inside and the outside of different pieces... even with just 2 coats. The label on the bottle says it is dinnerware safe, but the product safety sheet says it is not. The man I talked to said he would research it and let me know. I would not have bought it if the label did not say dinnerware safe.