Thinking Outside The Box-Pun Intended

Looking for reactions and responses. I designed the flat art icon-style graphic based on the photo of my box with the hole. I am thinking of using the stylized image as a logo. Yes, not the traditional pic of a ceramic piece. What say you? 

post-63409-0-85230600-1486007327_thumb.jpg  post-63409-0-07481800-1486007287_thumb.jpg  post-63409-0-16681300-1486007791_thumb.png 

It is clean and simple. Nice. Do you think you could add a wash stroke to suggest the edge of the hole? Not over do it but the shadow on the right side I think is important. Just a suggestion. If you try it, could we see it?

You don't need to pay attention to the man behind the curtain- just a thought.

Marcia

My first thought was a cherry blossom, with the black triangles being the falling blossoms. I would take from that you have a similar philosophy as to the shortness of life and it's renewal. okay, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Thanks for the feedback. The first view, above, is looking at the porcelain box from its underside. There is a hole in the bottom and the flower bead is on the underside of the box lid. The image below is the box from the top and sides. It was fired in my first (and so far only) anagama kiln experience. The triangles on the graphic represent the red micro-glitter in the bead, and the black triangles represent the black ash speckles. I tried variations with more of the black, and the shadow or outline of the hole but it diluted the impact too much. The sizing looks good on the web header. And yes, it is also reflective of several qualities and meanings for me, such as motion/falling/sprinkling/good cheer/simplicity/secrets (secret: no one would guess the graphic is derivitive of a mixed material wood fired ceramic box with a hole in the bottom ! )

post-63409-0-69411100-1486065979_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-69411100-1486065979_thumb.jpg

Guest JBaymore

Lee ,

Remember that if you go with color as a major element for the logo design.... your logo will not "work" all that well in black and white.  So you are boxing yourself into color materials for all your printed and online stuff.  Online... not such an issue.  Print..... more costly top get made. 

Maybe not a consideration... but just thought I'd bring it up.

best,

............john

Lee ,

Remember that if you go with color as a major element for the logo design.... your logo will not "work" all that well in black and white.  So you are boxing yourself into color materials for all your printed and online stuff.  Online... not such an issue.  Print..... more costly top get made. 

Maybe not a consideration... but just thought I'd bring it up.

best,

............john

This was my thoughts as well. I used to do logo stuff for companies and I always said this to everyone. Make your logo in black and white. Once your happy with it, add color to your computer graphics stuff, as almost all mass printing will be in black and white, or very expensive in color.

Great minds, John & Joseph. The red prints out very nicely as a dense black and holds the integrity of the design. Yep-I actually thought about it ahead of time...I had worked in commercial print graphics for a few years, in the box die industry. It's kinda like making a video with no voice or music, just to see if the story conveys well on it's own, strictly by the visuals.    

Good advice on colours above, also the following:

I was designing a Fair Isle Jumper, which needed three colours.  Research told me to choose my colours, but view them in black and white to see how well they contrasted together.  I'm not good with "seeing" tone of colour, so this was excellent advice.  My first choice of colours looked good to me, but two of them were too close in tone.  When I changed one of them to a slightly different shade, they looked much better together, in both colour and B&W.

When I designed logos the colors where more important item to consider then the grays.

Once the colors were approved and the logo designed I would then convert the logo to grayscale In Illustrator and tweak the grays so they showed the proper separations between the grays.

To adjust the colors to make the gray look correct seems a bit backwards to me.

Also, with most printing companies doing digital printing these days its cheaper to print a four color design on digital equipment then a 2 spot color design on conventional printing presses . Believe it or not most printing companies would convert a digital 2 spot color art into a four color digital print job because its cheaper to run and has a faster turnaround.

Archived