How To Achieve This Kind Of Marble Effect?

Fusionous

Made some very similar to these a long time ago. We colored porcelain slip with something and let it set up a bit. We then mixed a couple or a few of the different colors together lightly wedged and rolled out slabs and used hump and slump mold. When they were near dry we scraped them with a metal rib and it removed the skin of blurred clay away and showed very crisp patterns of agate.  It may very well be done in the other described as well.

I'm going with cast marbled slip. Have a peek at this persons work, looks like the same technique was used.

Thank you for your replies bros and sis! Oh my yes! This is the one! I tried using 2 clay bodies but the effect is wispy at all, therefore is there any method I could try with?

Made some very similar to these a long time ago. We colored porcelain slip with something and let it set up a bit. We then mixed a couple or a few of the different colors together lightly wedged and rolled out slabs and used hump and slump mold. When they were near dry we scraped them with a metal rib and it removed the skin of blurred clay away and showed very crisp patterns of agate. It may very well be done in the other described as well.

The effect with scrapped marble is that it doesn't have the wispy effect, maybe it's like a wet glaze and use something sharp to "draw"?

I'm going with cast marbled slip. Have a peek at this persons work, looks like the same technique was used.

Thank you for your replies bros and sis! Oh my yes! This is the one! I tried using 2 clay bodies but the effect is wispy at all, therefore is there any method I could try with?

I don't know the exact method those people used but if I was making those I would take 2 casting slips (made from the same clay), of what ever colours and pour a slowly rotate the 2 slips into the mold. Coating the inside of the mold to the top to create a shell of slip. Once that had set up a little I would then pour an unstained slip into the mold and let it set up until wall thickness is adequate then dump out the mold of excess slip. I'm guessing the excess slip would be slightly stained so might use that for subsequent batches of stained slip. You could fill the mold entirely with a couple stained slips but would land up with a heck of a lot of waste slip that would have to be used up.

Oldlady, were you referring to Nemadji Pottery?

I don't know the exact method those people used but if I was making those I would take 2 casting slips (made from the same clay), of what ever colours and pour a slowly rotate the 2 slips into the mold. Coating the inside of the mold to the top to create a shell of slip. Once that had set up a little I would then pour an unstained slip into the mold and let it set up until wall thickness is adequate then dump out the mold of excess slip. I'm guessing the excess slip would be slightly stained so might use that for subsequent batches of stained slip. You could fill the mold entirely with a couple stained slips but would land up with a heck of a lot of waste slip that would have to be used up.

Oldlady, were you referring to Nemadji Pottery?

Is it called marbled slip cast?

thank you, min.  i never knew about that particular name.  what i saw was a small video of someone mixing 2 distinct colors of slip in a bucket.  it was only on the surface as though an oil and water effect.  someone dipped a pot into the bucket and the swirling colors were picked up and transferred to the pot.  

it will get warm enough today to be out here on the unheated porch.   i will look for it.  was on a pinterest page recently posted on this forum.  i do not understand pinterest so that is the only way i will find it.

How about painting the inside of the mold with a pure black slip to get the base color and then blending the painted black with a white slip using a variety of brush strokes to get the marbling effect, then pouring the white casting slip to form the piece in the usual slip casting method? I've seen that kind of coloring when I mix acrylic paints on my palette to blend colors.

JohnnyK

I got a good look at the image. Min's idea about the moulds and the casting slips is a good one, but I think the original image is made wth wedged clays that have been thrown like Terri and Marcia suggested. I think both these methods of construction would benefit from having the outer skim of clay trimmed off.

I have friends who are a professional potter couple who made their line of pots back in the 80s by wedging colorants into the porcelain. My mug looks exactly like that in top post on bottom of pot where its not glazed.I think there are many ways to get this look but the easy one is just wedge colorants into the porcelain and then wedge them together-weather its scraped or cut it also has different effects.

Marcia, they switched to making functional fish pots and do the billing/and Livingston art shows for past few decades-you should check them out this year.

@ Old Lady---you can search Pinterest the same as we search these forums. In Pinterest, put in your key words (big search bar, top left).  I just entered "marble slip clay" and got a bunch of images, several like the one initially posted to begin this thread. 

@ Old Lady---you can search Pinterest the same as we search these forums. In Pinterest, put in your key words (big search bar, top left).  I just entered "marble slip clay" and got a bunch of images, several like the one initially posted to begin this thread. 

I'm with oldlady on Pinterest: I often search *Google images* and it invariably ends up at Pinterest. Once you get to Pinterest and try and follow any links from there you end up going around in circles.

I usually start an image search now with "-Pinterest" in the search term.

Archived