Qotw: What Is The Coolest And Most Helpful Thingy You Have In Your Studio?

A question for those using the LED tubes in their fluorescent fixtures.... do the LEDs flicker the way fluorescent tubes can? I removed all the long tube fluorescents because that flicker is an instant migraine trigger for me but am wondering if the long LED tube lights have fixed this issue?

T

A question for those using the LED tubes in their fluorescent fixtures.... do the LEDs flicker the way fluorescent tubes can? I removed all the long tube fluorescents because that flicker is an instant migraine trigger for me but am wondering if the long LED tube lights have fixed this issue?

T

Pug, From what I have read the flicker issue with traditional fluorescent tubes is not an issue with the new LED replacements.  Here's one of the better articles on the different types of LED replacements. http://www.premierltg.com - July 2015

-Paul

Having moved from a studio space that did not include a sink (*Gasp*), I have a custom, deep sink at a height where I don't have to stoop over to wash, mix, wipe stain, etc. It is a lifesaver for me...and of course, having a clay trap (my least favorite thing to clean but also MOST helpful).

I find it interesting that so many of us have mentioned music (and music delivery systems)...not surprised but getting a nice warm feeling about why I like these folks.  I cannot imagine my working space without having tunes readily available.

-Paul

I met a person once who told me SHE DOESN'T LIKE MUSIC. She doesn't listen to it, doesn't care for it, doesn't understand what everybody sees in it. 

She's a very nice person but I've never felt the same about her since then. I feel like something must be off in her brain. I mean, who doesn't like music? 

When I was first employed as a draftsman and floated from one architect's office to another, just about every situation had music playing...except one.  In that office, I showed up on my first day with a small radio and as soon as I was all set up and ready to draw, I flipped on the radio.  Every head in the office swiveled in my direction like an anti-aircraft tracking radar...evidently "Silence is Golden" was taken literally.  I didn't last a week there before moving to a happy space.  Its OK for some, but my tribe loves music!

-Paul :)

T

Mine don't flicker.

From what I understand (please check this) that florescent tubes flicker from some type of RF disturbance. Things like a AC to DC converters, battery chargers, microwaves and so on create RF that make florescent tubes flicker.

Archived