Used Wheel And Kiln

AlanJanzen

I have the opportunity to pick up a used Brent wheel (bought in late 90s and used for about a year before being placed in storage) and a Paragon kiln that apparently has not been fired. There are a number of other pieces in the sale including a number of bats for throwing and finishing and possibly other things like tools and glazes.

I wanted to see if I could pick anyone's brain on the value of the wheel and the kiln so I can feel good about the purchase and the quality of the items. I know there will be a bit of a learning curve using a non-digital kiln, but it seems like I might be able to get a good deal here as the owner is emptying a storage unit. Any thoughts on the value of the items pictured?

Thank you in advance for your expertise!

post-79902-0-66083300-1480356507_thumb.jpg

post-79902-0-76534800-1480356515_thumb.jpg

post-79902-0-79010300-1480356523_thumb.jpg

post-79902-0-51075700-1480356531_thumb.jpg

post-79902-0-66083300-1480356507_thumb.jpg

post-79902-0-76534800-1480356515_thumb.jpg

post-79902-0-79010300-1480356523_thumb.jpg

post-79902-0-51075700-1480356531_thumb.jpg

Since both units look to be brand new, look online for current prices.  I bought my  Brent CXC wheel in 1978 and have never had a problem with it.  I do not make pots full time, but the wheel has been in use at least 40 weeks a year for 35 years.  I started with a Paragon kiln about that same time, with no controller.  We did fine together for many years.  If the price(s) are right, go for it. 

I'd go $700 to $800 for the lot-the kiln is old -I know never used but. The wheel same deal-over 750

On closer inspection that kiln looks like no dawson shut off or timer-I would pass on the kiln or call paragon to see what an upgrade will cost you

The wheel is at least $350 value .

I haven't seen it in person yet, so these pictures are all I have to go with as of now. I'm scheduled to see everything Wednesday, so I'll have to check everything then. If there is a kiln sitter, does that change your assessment Mark? Seller is a friend of a friend who is moving out of the country within a week, so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I head out there so I can possibly make an offer then.

My dad purchased a never-used kiln that was 30 years old. Beautiful condition. Thought it was a steal at $500. Well, after replacing the coils and a couple other parts ... and after he upgrades it to a digital controller .... that kiln ends up being more like $1500-$2000 and he could get a brand new one without all that hassle for $3000.

My like has sitter and a timer..-​ think these are the minimums. The timer backs up the sitter as a safety .

I only bisque in mine

If it has both these its a $300 kiln if it had shelves it could be $350

That box of pots looks very hodge poge 

You could get a 60 amp timer for 220V and hard wire it into that. So price this item into the cost of old kiln.

Make sure its 25% larger amperage needed than the kiln.the 60 amp was guess for a 48amp kiln.

Its just another upcost factor and then have an electrician wire that into the mix so add those costs as well.

I know when I started looking around a couple of months ago I found so many deals like this but yeah once I factored in all the cost and potential cost, since I wanted digital and the likelihood of elements and such it just seemed like I could quickly get a grand or more into a 20-40 year old kiln. Just didn't make sense, for me. For $2700 I just started new. I have always done this with computers (wait as long as you can and buy as much as you can afford) and it has always paid off and they only last 10-12 years at best. New kilns can literally last your lifetime if you buy one as an adult. But I also do this for a living now and had to have a reliable kiln that worked right out of the box and kept working week in and week out with no down time. I know when I bought the other two we had it was a no brainer because we had the dough and the day jobs but this last one the cost mattered a lot and I still ended up going new. 

on the other hand maybe he gets a $300 kiln and wires to a $60 timer and is good to go. I guess its just a upside/downside decision that one has to make given their circumstances. If I add a second one I might take a chance on a used one as it would be for bisque only and if I had down time I would'nt be dead in the water.

Alright, so the update.  The kiln did have a timer on the side so that's a plus.  I went ahead and purchased the lot for $800.  I'm going to have a technician come out to check out the kiln in a few weeks to make sure everything is good to go.  The Brent was a CXC reversible with a foot pedal, and it wasn't the version with the flush panel.  Came with about 30 bats, most of them unused, a gravity fed spray gun for glaze (no compressor though), a pretty nice dust mask, a very nice banding wheel, 2 big slabs of slate for making a wedging/handbuilding table or two, shelving and spacers for the kiln, a bunch of containers with lids for glaze, some assorted tools, and a few additional oversized bats with foam padding he made himself for larger platters and bowls.  Overall a decent amount of stuff to get me started at home.  I'll keep you updated after the kiln gets checked out...

Now I need to start thinking about insulating the garage... It is Texas, so summer garage work doesn't sound too fun without that.  Thank you all again for your help and pointing out all these things I should be looking for!

Archived