Test Tiles In Empty Kiln

I no longer have access to small test kiln and running round of test tiles in 7 cf Skutt 1027 digital controller. I put in shelves and put my tiles on middle shelf. cone 5 with 20 minute hold. I normally would plan to add test tile to next load but this is first test of all newly mixed glazes so need to run test before first load.

I'm wondering will my results be different than normal kiln load?

thanks guys, ya know I'm stting up solo but have used this glaze lineup for 3 years and mainly wanted to make sure on thickness as I am using different water source. I make serveral and buy the rest from the same source. Putting together a booth from scratch and the serveral hundred pieces I am glazing are really all needed and I could bring my self to isolate a potentially sacraficial load.

It is a controller controled ramp up and down to I think 1200, wouldn't that help?

Instead just buy a plastic 100ML vile and weigh your liquid glaze-when you have it right (water to material) write it down and then you can mix to this number every time. No more firing to test thickness. Hope this is clear. You should be able to scratch the thickness as well instead of firing tests.

Archived