Moving Studio To Montana

Marcia Selsor

Good for you Marcia. Montana is a beautiful state. I spent many moons after graduating in and around the Flathead Lake area.

Fond memories...and yeah, your gonna need a heater ;)

I lived in Montana for 31 years. I was never happier, healthier or more productive. Looking forward to it. Already ordered heater for the studio!

Marcia

Anyone out there tired of their rain you can send it on over to Georgia, around here it's been over 40 days with no rain. We normally get more rain than Seattle so it's pretty dire. There are forest fires burning in the counties just north of me, they've been burning for a few weeks now. I wake up to what looks like fog but is actually smoke filling the valley where it just seems to sit, makes it very difficult to breathe, am worried about the hubby he has been sick since the smoke moved in. We are all monitoring the direction it's moving while hoping, praying, chanting, dancing for rain. There is a complete fire ban in affect and a limited water usage in effect. I'm just south of the headwaters for the Chattahoochee and every day I walk by the river and see it dry up even more... wonder how long before it stops flowing entirely.

Thankfully it is no longer 90 degrees it's finally hitting the 20-30 degree rain but we REALLY need the rain!

T

Marcia:

In honor of your soon to be move, and the recent post about music in the studio: I have put together a play list while driving.  Feel free to add to it.

On the Road Again.... Willy Nelson

I'm Leaving on A jet plane.....  Mama's & Papas

Anticipation.. Carly Simon

The Road.. Jackson Browne

Never come this way again... Seals & Crofts

By the time I get to Phoenix.... Glen Campbell  (not related to Chris)

Long Lonesome Road..... sorry,, forgot.. been too long since I heard it.

Folsom Prison Blues.  Johnny Cash........ a warning in case you lead foot it.

Long Lonesome Highway....sorry,, forgot who sung that one too.

Nerd

• 4 weeks later...

Waiting for the Electrician

Got my electrics into the kiln shed. Snow is now coming down hard. will remove the overhead wooded storage.

Shelves are stowed, tile setters stowed too. My big raku kiln will go on the cart the oval is on/ I can store it inside with the rest of the kilns.

Marcia

post-1954-0-04950300-1483135069_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-04950300-1483135069_thumb.jpg

I remember 212 well, years ago lost the brakes on my Ford Taurus wagon heading to Billings. On our way to North Dakota with my sister's family in another vehicle. They went on ahead while we had new brakes put onto the Taurus. The Taurus was known for short brake life, and I had put a few pairs on it already, but went to Midas and had a lifetime pair put on. Needless to say, free brakes and a few hours later we were on our way to Teddy Roosevelt Natl Park in ND.

Beartooth is one heck of a beautiful drive!

best,

Pres

The studio space looks to be spacious, and the fact that you are close to Yellowstone, means lots of tourist traffic.

My personal fav in the area is Grand Tetons, quieter, majestic, and nice places to kayak. Yellowstone in the Summer months is just way too busy and noisy. However, Yellowstone Lake is a great place to get away from it all in a kayak.

best,

Pres

Marcia Selsor, on 30 Dec 2016 - 7:25 PM, said:

True about yellowstone , but the Beartooths both on 212 or into them from the smaller towns around here are nice...East Rosebud, Grasshopper Glacier, and my favorite is the Pryor Mountains. Very few go there.I have gone there in the past and never seen another person. The wild horses are there plus cougars, bears, etc. Plus vision quest sites. The Big Horn Mountains have a Medicine Wheel and may have a few more people. Yellowstone is great but to be avoided in the summer months. The people in town were complained last summer that the Chamber of Commerce scheduled the Biker Rally the same day as Shakespeare in the Park. They wouldn't be able to hear the actors.

Very small town.

I have friends with a place between Cooke City and Silver Gate at the NE entrance to Yellowstone. Great place. Lamar Valley is wonderful for wolf sitings and the larger Buffalo herd. Hot potting at the 43rd parallel is fun in the winter. I go there with my Wild Women girlfriends in Feb. to swim in the hot springs. At -5 steam freezes your hair. Haven't ventured in at -20. Back in 1975, when I would visit friend in Bozeman I would take the long way home through Yellowstone and the Beartooth Highway. It was probably an extra hundred miles, but spectacular scenery.There are a lot of lakes up in the pass good for kayaking and lots of fishing.The bear tooth Highway from here to yellowstone closes about end of Sept. or sooner and opens around memorial Day. The road from Cooke City to Gardiner through the park is kept open for school buses to Gardiner and the Northern Entrance to Yellowstone. The park in winter is spectacular. Cold does that to Steam.A group of my girlfriends and I have been going to Chico Hot Springs every last weekend in January for the past 26 years. I come back every yer to spend time with them and enjoy our day in Yellowstone.These women are my best friends, some for 40 years.

Marcia

post-1954-0-14240800-1483154056_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-43040100-1483154083_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-23097000-1483154128_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-59262300-1483154145_thumb.jpg

I've done the hot pool thing in the winter- you're right the freezing white hair is crazy. The countryside looks really nice. I would like to go to Yellowstone in the winter.

Check out the groomed xc ski trails & tell me how they are.

I am headed to Yoho later in January for two days of xc skiing around Natural Bridge and Emerald Lake. I included some pictures- Natural Bridge has the open water. I know how you feel about the climate and moving back to Montana vs.Texas. 

post-67248-0-16042100-1483155541_thumb.jpg

post-67248-0-18481300-1483155555_thumb.jpg

I found the heat and dripping with more sweat than I ever knew was possible to be really incapacitating. I hate dripping on a piece of burnishing terra sig while loading. It stains the surface. I love cold weather,, fresh mountain air and crispy clean light on the mountains.I can see the stars again. In deep South Texas it is too humid to see many stars

Marcia

• 3 weeks later...

Using a kerosene heater while I arrange my studio. The electrician came today to check out the kiln shed for a new meter...No longer Waiting For the Electrician!

Direct from the pole/transformer in the alley next to the shed.

I am arranging the studio and put the wedging table by the window with the wheel next to that and the wall heater near the wheel. From my stool at the wheel I can see the ski runs on Red Lodge Mountain. So happy with our relocation Back in Montana!!! Getting greetings from former students. Invitations to Feb. Art Walk. I am so happy to be home.

post-1954-0-47711200-1484623136_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-44089600-1484623163_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-48808900-1484623232_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-84334300-1484623290_thumb.jpg

getting settled in isn't that sought to do. So excited to have the electrician working on it . I am thinking of mixing some clay in my soldier mixer and start with raku clay to make daggers and slabs.

Looking forward to being operational again.Planning to get some clay soon,.

Marcia

• 1 month later...

Just an update. Installed three shop lights today. I have a forth to install tomorrow.Mark C recommended LED king on eBay. Great lights and easy to install except for up and down on a ladder. But nice lights.Need to put one mor up in the SW corner. Mañana.

Marcia

post-1954-0-83897500-1488425278_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-38321400-1488425949_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-67615600-1488425970_thumb.jpg

Looks like a magical place.

This might be a little late for this. The last shop I built I had power lines with outlets dropped from the ceiling for equipment. It was a great way to keep power cords off the floor

Archived