I have a mirror propped up against the wall right behind my wheel when I'm working inside. When outside I'm sitting on a bench so there is no way to prop up a mirror. I must be a very messy potter because there are a lot of clay splashes on the mirror it could use some sort of windshield wiper system.

Paul

:D:D

Reading all your answers I know why I missed you all so much during my month in Barcelona. You are a funny bunch indeed!

So most of you are using a mirror, if only to splash it full of slip, or to stick notes on it. I think when I am back from Italy I try the mirror thing for a while. I am sure if somebody would take a pic of me throwing, I would be shocked by the twisted body...

Not many mirrors in my house. Only one, near the entrance/exit door; to check if I have slip splash on my trousers (or elsewhere) before going out... Normally I am not very vain....

;)

Evelyne

• 2 months later...

and my 2 cents - I've been using a make-up mirror that swivels, and so is easy to position, and sits on a stand about 4 inches high.  It fits in the space beyond my  splash pan and I find it very helpful to see my work from another angle.   Sometimes I even clean it off and then I can really see what's going on.

While throwing the other day, I realized something about the mirror thing. I have developed a habit of getting up off the wheel, and looking at the pots before cutting, often from a crouching angle, and above. This is a forced effort to get up and move more often, in response to getting older the T2D, and visitations of Arthur. So in the long run, having a mirror would be counter productive to the habit of more movement.

best,

Pres

That's an interesting consideration for us geezers.  Not that I'm suggesting you're a geezer but I sure am .   I do tend to crab walk when I get up from throwing.  Another keep-moving idea would be to  leave the prepared clay lumps somewhere away from the wheel so I have to get up to begin each new pot. My dog won't like this tho.  He gets up every time I do.

I'll talk it over with him.

Archived