Older Kiln Not Reaching Temp

flyemma

Hi everyone! Im so glad I found this page, I recently started up my own little studio finally and was given a small little even heat kiln model k-810 with a kiln sitter. Im doing test firing and it seems to heat up and everything seems fine however being so little I assumed it won't take as long to reach temperature, the cones look like they weren't even affected at all. Im so confused and cannot find any info on this older kiln! Please help :)

Does the sitter have a backup timer? If so, was it set long enough for the firing to complete? That timer does not control how long a firing takes, it just shuts the kiln off when it gets to zero. You'll have to set it high and figure out how long a firing actually takes, then set the timer to about 1/2 hour longer than the expected time on subsequent firings. If there's not a timer, you'll need to put it on high and see if all the elements glow after a few minutes.

I was able to reach temp to do a bisque, I'm running the kiln now to see if I can properly get it up to cone 5, any recommendations about a temperature gauge that would work with an old kiln sitter? Im not knowledgable enough to rewire, but other than cones what would you recommend using to measure? 

Archived