Informal Critique

I did a little searching around, but I can't seem to find a good place to get a little unbiased critique on my work. I understand that people aren't jumping at an opportunity to critique a complete strangers work, but surely there is a niche somewhere where I can get some feedback without bothering my friends. Perhaps there is already a topic on here that I missed?

If not, perhaps I should start one...

Guest JBaymore

I took a look at your website. I'm guessing you have a huge resource in your faculty members and your BFA thesis committee. Are you tapping that source out to the best of your ability?

best,

....................john

I talk with my adviser and peers weekly. I'm more interested in getting some critique on my most recent work that isn't on my website yet. I think I'll post some photos like buckeye suggested... I just wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for this forum.

Look below the dialogue box when you post and you will see the option to browse and attach this file.

That is how you upload pix.

Sorry, I should have been more specific... where did you submit them, not how. :P I'm just wondering what the best forum would be. Thanks though!

I looked at your work. You are a BFA student? One suggestion is to use masking tape as a resist and keep your lines between the black and white tight and clean. In a formal direction you may think about more negative space and other formats such as what would these be like if they were horizontal pieces instead of vertical. How would three play off of each-other and could the space in-between the three create a negative space that could be of interest to the viewer. So is there a conceptual direction you are working with? Some writing to tell us what you are thinking and why you are making such forms and what your influences are ect. would help us to push you along. Look at Anne Currier's work from Alfred!

http://www.lacostegallery.com/dynamic/artist.asp?artistid=5

Best,

Stephen

Yeah, those are some sculptures I did last year. I had given some thought to using a wax resist or tape, as you suggested, but I ended up trying the wheel method. It was a challenge to get the different stripes centered on the wheel... as you can probably imagine, in order to get the top spinning in the center, the bottom needed to be off center. It was an experiment that I will admit didn't give me the straight lines that I'd hoped for, but then again it was the first time I had ever attempted it. Not bad for my first go... If I continue with that series I'll try your tape method and let you know how it works.

Thank you for the suggestions. I love Anne Curriers work... she was a huge inspiration for the series I'm currently working on.

And yes, to answer your question, I'm in a BFA program. I know I have a ways to go as an artist, but my best work is still inside me. That can't be said for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Unknown Craftsman

Yes, people can be nice and helpful here, so I would post away!

I remember that Ceramics Monthly started to run a critique column in the magazine, but they stopped for some reason; I thought at the time (early 2000s?) that something like that would be very instructional, but apparently it wasn't very popular.

Archived