Replace Frit 3134 With Gerstly Borate

For now I have GB but have run out of 3134. I live in the piney woods and would rather not drive to get more 3134. 

The online info gives the 3134 replacement for GB, but I am in the somewhat enviable position of being on the other side of the problem. 

Any help may be sent directly to me at petersheremeta@gmail.com 

Thanks. 

If you post the recipe it would be a lot easier for someone to possibly work out a glaze using g.b. in place of the frit. 

One thing I really like about these forums is the knowledge gained by all of us through information sharing and suggestions. Someone coming back to this post at a later date might gain insight from your question and possible answers, if they can see the original and adapted recipes. (that being said, if your glaze is a “trade secret†I can understand why you might not want to post it.  ;) )

GB seems to change half the sodium flux for magnesium and comes with less silica.

You could mix in a bit of feldspar but then your alumina will be shooting up and alter the recipe. The best match may be to use GB with a little extra silica and ignore the changing of sodium for magnesium. Depending what else is in the recipe you could get a little closer swap.

Something like 1 frit 3134 = 0.77gb + 0.23 silica

gallery_23281_1027_47832.png

I've had FF3134 in the past, (it's not so readily available in the UK)  but I now tend to use Standard Borax Frit as a substitute - no disasters so far.

CTM Potters do FF3134 Ayjay, but their Standard Borax Frit is about half the price.

I've had FF3134 in the past, (it's not so readily available in the UK)  but I now tend to use Standard Borax Frit as a substitute - no disasters so far.

CTM Potters do FF3134 Ayjay, but their Standard Borax Frit is about half the price.

Thanks Celia, I'll keep that in mind, I've got various American frits by mail order from Scarva in the past, but the Standard Borax hasn't let me down yet and I can get that fairly locally, (30 minute drive).

Archived