Back from the Bilzzard of Halloween

Guest JBaymore

Guest JBaymore

Hi all. Sorry for the lack of presence here for a bit. We got 14" of cement-like snow the evening of the 29th. Lots of trees down...... just got power and phones and cell phones and internet access back.

best,

..................john

Hi all. Sorry for the lack of presence here for a bit. We got 14" of cement-like snow the evening of the 29th. Lots of trees down...... just got power and phones and cell phones and internet access back.

best,

..................john

WOW sorry to hear that! I heard on the news the northeast already got hammered pretty good this year... hope it isnt a sign of what winter is going to be like for you guys!

After one mid-Atlantic storm that left us powerless -- including the basement sump pump -- and spending 14 hours of non-stop bailing to prevent basement flooding, I purchased a whole-house back up generator. Runs on natural gas that already comes to the house. Worth the investment.

Another thing you can add to your back up system if you have city water is a venturi sump, the city water pressure sucks the water out of the well when the level gets to high. We decided on it so we wouldn't have to worry about it if we were out of town and compared to buying backup batteries year after year we thought it was enviromentaly friendly. We bought it off of E-Bay for 100 dollars and installed it ourselves, couldn't get the plumber to show up, it's PVC so installation wasn't hard. It may not work well for you if you have low water pressure ours is high and when we did a test run it pulled the water out in seconds. Denice

best,

..................john

So you're in the New England area too. One of my favorite trees is severely damaged and I am so sad about it. It's a mulberry that's filled with birds all summer long. We have a huge sturdy oak in the front yard by the street and it dropped several branches in the street at 3:30am. I woke up to the thump. Two cars came down the hill just after it happened and sat there under the tree in front of the branches unable to get by. One driver flashed his lights at the branches. By the time the third car arrived they all got out and moved the branches to the neighbors driveway.

We didn't have power but luckily got it back pretty quickly. I went to school on Monday (ours was not cancelled) But when I arrived the power was out at school as well. We held class anyway. The kids thought it was an adventure. There are branches all over the roads everywhere. What a mess.

Archived