Ceramic Pendant Necklace

Hi all, I wanted to make some ceramic pendant jewelry with a few of my students this summer. Instead of making the loop attachment on the top of the pendant out of clay, I wanted to do it using a metal or wire. My idea was to create the pendant, insert the metal loop fitting, then bisque and glaze fire it.

So here's my question: Does anyone know of any fireproof metal loops or wire that can survive the kiln firings?

Thanks,

~Dianna

firing the metal is a difficult way to approach this.  talk to Dirt roads pottery.  sharon uses glue on metal findings and can point you in the right direction.

poking a fondue stick through from the side allows a chain to run through the pendant top.    poking a hole in the pendant from top to bottom allows a metal ring to be attached.  

there are several potters here who make jewelry, am sure they will help.

The wire works re: withstanding the fire, but it is not pretty! It is very dull and feels dry/rough. it's OK to make rods for a bead tree or other uses (like a sculptural element, but not for jewelry. It is also difficult to cut and bend for a small, delicate application.  I use the e3600 and whatever bails serve the purpose.  

I use high fire wire. I cut an inch, fold it in half around pliers, then twist it once or twice and leave a V of wire at the bottom. I press it in and then smooth over the little area of damaged clay. Works great. 

You can purchase very fine as shown or thicker. Blick and Big Ceramic Store both have it, under high temp wire. http://www.bigceramicstore.com/tools-supplies/firing-supplies/high-temp-wire.html

med_gallery_67168_1162_132387.jpg

I like glue flat bails, glued with e6000.  Same wire as Giselleno5 for earrings.

We had gotten away from ceramic jewelry, but are now bringing it back.   Doing a $5K wholesale right now, all ceramic.

One tip I might add is to finish your jewelry off with nice chains or faux pearls (these really sell for me).   I only do one spring show and was selling tons of ceramic jewelry while a vendor a few rows over sole almost none.   They were using hemp and nylon. 

On earrings use a nice finding.   I prefer antique bronze or stainless steel.  For ears in the antique bronze, you must have cadmium, nickel and lead free.    The style of earring is extremely important.  You have to find out what your target market prefers.    I find the kidney hooks or short straight hooks to be the best sellers.  I NEVER use those cheap looking fish hooks.

Ceramic jewelry is a fantastic profit booster and I don't see many potters doing it right.   Details are important.   You must have the right findings or jewelry doesn't seem to sell.  Getting ready to expand facilities for more jewelry with another 400 square foot expansion.

Contact if you need more information or have questions.

Sharon Grimes

Dirt Roads Pottery

601-298-2000

(haven't been on too much lately ... business is really demanding now)

Glue Flat Bails in Antique Silver and Antique Bronze

Cross Pendant attached with Antique Bronze Glue Flat Bail

Round Pendant (glue flat bail) on Antique Bronze chain and matching earrings (24 gauge high temp wire) on 38 mm Kidney Hook

Earring with 24 gauge high temp wire ( just a small horseshoe shaped hook .. I don't twist like Giselleno5 but I think that's a great idea)

Pendants on 8mm 32 inch glass bead (faux pearls) in Antique Bronze.   I also use 6mm pearls.   Available in antique bronze and silver.

Earring comparison:  Kidney hooks and short straight hook.

post-8500-0-72919500-1467762402_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-15828200-1467762438_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-49068400-1467762448_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-57685900-1467762463_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-94104200-1467762485_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-79998900-1467763154_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-03980800-1467763730_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-72919500-1467762402_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-15828200-1467762438_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-49068400-1467762448_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-57685900-1467762463_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-94104200-1467762485_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-79998900-1467763154_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-03980800-1467763730_thumb.jpg

I have a question...if you use the glue on bail how do you glaze both sides of the jewelry since there isn't hole to hang them in the kiln?

T

Small stilts and lighter coat of glaze.  Sometimes they leave small  marks which we hit with a dremel.

I have a question...if you use the glue on bail how do you glaze both sides of the jewelry since there isn't hole to hang them in the kiln?

You could also make a hole which will be covered by the bail and support the pendant on a wire through the hole.

I fire mine upside down, they are made in two parts, (sprig moulded basically) hollow in the centre and I leave a small hole at the top. I made a stand using a small block of clay with stainless steel pins pushed up through it from underneath, the pendant sits on the protruding pin, (just). It's not ideal, I've lost a few  (maybe 10%).

If I make any more I'll try the hole under the bail method.

I looked at all sorts of things for "chains" and ended up using something called Velvet Ribbon.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old thread but it was the only one that came up in search for loop attachment.

Unlike OP, I do want to make the ceramic loop on top of some items. I am new to pottery (intro in Studio forum) and have made some basic slab animal shape pieces (few inches in size). 

My clay is leather hard right now so my concern is that it is too small to add securely.  Tips?  I can post pics if that helps.

tj

23 hours ago, tia13 said:

My clay is leather hard right now so my concern is that it is too small to add securely.  Tips?  I can post pics if that helps.

Adding more clay to leatherhard clay should work, but the addition also needs to be leatherhard.  It's the best way to build slab boxes/houses etc and keep the clay flat.

Archived