Video Of Traditional Pots From Agost

This is one of several videos of the pottery town of Agost near Alicante in Spain. lived there for a year while studying traditional potters and visiting 48 pottery manufacturing centers around the country.

The museum there is moving to a larger facility.

This video is from La Nava Pottery. The moved to an updated facility in 1980 or so. They had a 4 story kiln with a freight elevator. Wood-fired. Capacity is about 11,000 pots per load.

Hope Mark likes the tumble stacking

Marcia

Ty for posting Marcia- absolute masters of the craft at work. From throwing, adding attachments: 1.42 minutes per piece. I did notice at the end of the video he was doing the "ping" test to check for fissures. I also noticed, they wore no masks. So I have decided to give up clay and go back to smoking Cubans.

Nerd

It is a tough clay. Notice the back support. In the old factories they stone/stucco walls were worn where the potters leaned back. There were usually 4 wheels on a row running from one motor. The wheels engaged separately.

There are quite a few youtube videos of this place.

The powder they add before the pug mill is salt. They say it makes the water taste better from the botijos.

Salt huh? Interesante...

I'm guessing these are left unglazed?

Watching that man work is inspiring. I was just sitting there calculating how long it would take me to make one of those. My guess is he'd have a couple dozen done, before I finished my first.

Yep. Water coolers.They glaze the winter botijos. They had a different shape for each destination like one for Valencia and another for Ocana or Madrid. I would take photos of them in use by construction workers, behind the scenes at bull ring, field workers,etc.Mark, did you see their tumble stacking.

Archived