Making A Perforated Kiln Shelf.

I got about 10 perforated kiln shelves from Euclid's years ago..like 2002. I like to use them in my raku kilns. I really needed a small one for my new little demo kiln. 

You need to keep the bit wet with water. easy. I did have trouble when I had been interrupted and forgot to remove the plug from the previous hole. CRAFT moment.  Other than that it was easy. 

Will fire up soon.

Marciapost-1954-0-17643800-1465159554_thumb.jpg

Busy rebuilding the fireboxes (and various other bits) of an Olsen Fast Fire wood kiln at present. Some plans I have seen (eg Joe Finch's book) show perforated kiln shelves as grates under the ash pits, but the holes seem slightly larger and much closer together than these, more specifically to provide enough negative space to let enough air through all over to efficiently burn the coals down to clean ash before they fall to,the bottom of the firebox.

Wondering how many and how closely can push the hole drilling before you seriously compromise the integrity of the kiln shelf. Any thoughts?

Or, is there a better way to make an ash pit grate?

How so? I mentioned using my new diamond bit hole cutter in status.

I love diamond bits. There was a new vendor at NCECA this year. I got a

diamond grinding pad for my tiny Shimpo wheel and the hole cutter for this exact purpose. I think I am going to drill some larger shelves for two bigger raku kilns. Although left hand and right wrist are a tad sore.

My husband is a Theoretical Astrophysicist. He always tells me he went into theory so he didn't have to deal with Mass. ( this is when I get a ton or more delivery). But I don't let him use my power tools. He can't handle them with out hurting himself.

Marcia

Archived