More throwing ribs

The place I get my clay is about 45 minutes away but only about 10 from my girlfriends work so she will usually stop by after work and pick up my clay. I have been out since friday and thought about running up Saturday morning but just figured she could go after work monday. I had no idea she had plans after work monday and yesterday but I did get my clay this evening so I am again a happy guy.

SO.. with no clay and some free time I have been making ribs. I made about 7 more yesterday and today I made a couple of... I will call them profile ribs. In my research I seen some similiar before to make the rounded bottom but I couldnt find them earlier today, didnt research for them to hard as I pretty much already knew what I wanted to do.

The first picture is a piece I threw with the little bit of clay I had left using the profile ribs. The bottom was done with the small one. The picture with the profile ribs isnt done, it is barely roughed in to see how it works and with a few minor modifications I think it will work spectacularly!

Are you all tired of seeing my ribs?? rolleyes.gif

post-6939-131968718672_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131968719937_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131968721448_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131968718672_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131968719937_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131968721448_thumb.jpg

Nice work on those ribs. I love making tools, as does my husband.

He likes making them of plexi-glass, and wood, and I like to use metals such as aluminum, brass, copper, and stainless.

The hardest part is finding the materials, as we are both recyclers.

I have never used oak, because of the grain, but with your method, they should hold up fine. I have found a lumber yard who will save scraps of hardwoods for me.

It is great fun to go through the box of scraps to identify the different woods.

I am not tired of seeing your ribs.

Nice ribs again.

I have had issues with profile ribs that are similar to the one you used on the cylinder. I expect that it is my technique, but where the profile is deepest with a tight curve, the clay gets very thin, sometimes even parting at those locations. If I tilt the rib back at an angle to the clay, then it doesn't bite as deeply, but the curves aren't as interesting. Anyone have some advice on proper technique to avoid getting the clay to conform to tight radii without getting too thin?

John

Wood has to be sealed with some type of oil if it's to be used for making pots. I like this food grade product used for butcher blocks that's made from a mixture of mineral oil, bees wax and carnauba wax. I used it to coat all my ware boards which I made out of a veneered plywood so they'd have a smooth surface. What's great is that it also works for my kitchen cutting boards and utensils, so I don't have to buy a can of something that has a single purpose and sits on my shelf for 15 years after I use it once. I have several of those too from project gone by.

Look like great ribs and fine use of them. What kind of wood do you use? Do you seal them with oil or some type of sealer?

The wood is oak and maple. I got it from my brothers barn that we had to replace all the roof trusses and support beams. I sealed them with linseed oil. Oak is not ideal because it is pourous but it is a hard wood and so far so good, I think it will hold up just fine.

Wood has to be sealed with some type of oil if it's to be used for making pots. I like this food grade product used for butcher blocks that's made from a mixture of mineral oil, bees wax and carnauba wax. I used it to coat all my ware boards which I made out of a veneered plywood so they'd have a smooth surface. What's great is that it also works for my kitchen cutting boards and utensils, so I don't have to buy a can of something that has a single purpose and sits on my shelf for 15 years after I use it once. I have several of those too from project gone by.

I would love to know the name of the product!

Archived