Melamine would work for a hot minute, a laminate counter top would be better, a laminate glued to a cabinet grade plywood would be best.

I started with a canvas top and tossed it after I found you needed a different canvas for different colors of clay. Canvas works great for rolling clay or with a slab roller.

My current set up is like JBaymore and it works well.

In the spring I'll be making a new baby butt smooth thin cast reinforced with rebar high PSI concrete counter top for my existing 4x4 and 2x4 frame.

When I was teaching pottery at a community college the dept teacher wanted to change the canvas on the existing tables. Mind you when they re-canavassed the time years before, they put new canvas over old worn out canvas...so they pulled off the newer canvas black mold had grown between the two layers! Solid black mold! Not sure if there is a good black mold and bad mold...we assumed it was bad!

Speaking of tables and dust in the studio, does CAD recommend an air purification unit? I looked at different modules on Amazon and the price ranges from $30.00 to $500.00! Any thoughts?

Alabama

• 3 years later...

Wow, this thread is great. I would definitely have gone with canvas before reading but now I am looking at some other options and will likely be building a table once I figure out what I want out of it.

I have some leftover duron boards from a project. How does that seem as a starting surface? I need to lay something on top of my current studio table because the current surface is not suitable. Should I paint it or add oil, as I've seen in some other comments?

Had to look up what Duron was. If it’s the Masonite I’m familiar with, I’d be worried about it degrading with constant wetting and drying. I switched from canvas to a smooth patio block and haven’t looked back.

I do however have some 3/4” MDO bats that I made 20 years ago that are still going strong with no sign of warping. They have never been treated in any way. If I were to make a wooden worktop, I’d be inclined to use that. 

having just read this whole thread from the beginning, i found that everyone mentioned "dust"  without saying that the dust is silica which gets into lung tissue and kills people at some stage.

canvas is just bad, BAD stuff in any studio.  

duron is great for bats.   i have used them since building some in the 1970s.  the best part is that the pots thrown on duron bats will pop off the bat on their own.   ASSUMING they were not thrown with a gallon of water per ounce which i see on youtube often.   less water will allow for much easier finishing, a cleaner studio and shorter working time to finish.