Sign in to follow this  
MMB

Wheel spinning to fast?

A while back I picked up an old custom built wheel from someone a town over. It had a a huge metal plate at the bottom of the main shaft and an electric motor with a rubber wheel that spun it. The small rubber wheel was dry and lop sided so I was never able to get a comfortable spin. Finally I purchased two pullies and some angle iron and rigged the motor up onto the structure. I didnt buy a control switch or pedal for it yet, I fugured Ill dabble with it fast till I have the time to better my rig. I used to like throwing fast back in college but it has been years since Ive thrown. I centered it by paddling before I popped it on. In all seriousness I was just doing it to do it since I finished rigging it today. So really, can a wheel spin too fast?

post-3007-131897347212_thumb.jpg

post-3007-131897347212_thumb.jpg

I guess I didnt word it correctly. No worries. I was asking if theres a point of speed where the wheel spins too fast for the clay to be thrown. Like could my electric motor be too fast? its a 1/3 hp 1725 rpm rated motor. While on (without a control pedal) it spun maybe a tad quicker than a brent on full speed.

yeah it is funky ahaha you should see it with its table inserts etc. Still has a lil shaky feel to it even without the old plate...

Looking at the way it is set up, if you could add a third pulley with a larger belt and and a bar so that the pressure on the drive pulley let up when you pushed on the bar you could let the wheel coast a little. It would take a little engineering, but could be done-the third pulley would act as an idler-you see them often on lawn mower set ups.

I appreciate that idea Pres. I know exactly what youre talking about but I never would of thought of it. And yes Chris that first lil test throw was a messy one....clay.....went.....EVERYWHERE! :lol: which is why I posted this thread.