Tattoo paper for image transfer on clay?

Hi everybody,

I am in Switzerland and I cannot find decal paper for transferring images on clay, the more similar paper I can find here, is the tattoo paper: printing on it, then putting on the clay surface the image facing the clay, and then dampen with a wet sponge from behind until the image is transferred.

Does anyone has ever tried it or know if it works?

Thank you!

Paola

Do you mean decal paper or do you mean another image transfer method?

If you mean the kind of decal paper that you can print on using a black and white laser printer (assuming it has iron oxide in the toner) then you can go online to Bel Decal in the USA and order laser decal paper (clear). They do a minimum of 25 sheets. I buy from them often. Google Frank Gaydos on the subject first - he wrote a good summary on how that system works. They usually go onto fired glazed ware.

If you mean the kind of decal paper on which you screenprint with china paint and make proper 'decals' with, using Over Print Laquer (OPL) I am certain many places in USA carry it. Or try Scarva pottery supplies in Northern Ireland. I know Northcote Pottery in Australia sell that in small quantities.

You can also print or draw with underglaze onto tissue paper from art shops or used to wrap items in fancy gift shops, and transfer that to leatherhard clay.

Elaine Bradley

lalab@iinet.net.au

Hi everybody,

I am in Switzerland and I cannot find decal paper for transferring images on clay, the more similar paper I can find here, is the tattoo paper: printing on it, then putting on the clay surface the image facing the clay, and then dampen with a wet sponge from behind until the image is transferred.

Does anyone has ever tried it or know if it works?

Thank you!

Paola

Archived