Need Help Re Duncan Ea 1020 (Older) 29" Wide Kiln Lid

caralynae

Good evening! my husband and I have a smaller Duncan and a digital Paragon kiln and are looking at a used Duncan kiln that is about 29" wide and 26" tall and the ceramic outer hard shell has come off about 1/3 or 1/4 of the top with a few areas coming off on the underside (of the lid). I have read many forums on here that have been very helpful and noticed that there is a Paragon dealer/rep in Texas who comments on Duncan parts, etc. Well, I am wondering, would we need to replace this lid right away if we got it or is it safely operable still? Or is there any way to repair the ceramic fiber (specifically outer layer)? I know on my Paragon with firebrick on the lid, we can, but noticed in the manual it says to ask a Duncan/Paragon rep. Thank you!

The ceramic fiber lids are not really repairable. If it's just the outer skin, then I wouldn't worry about it unless it's flaking on the inside, in which case it could get onto your pots.

Personally, I would avoid the Duncan because maintenance and parts tend to get expensive.

Archived