Sign in to follow this  
Palo

Flameware Clay Sellers

Do you know any flameware clay sellers (“flameproof†clay formulated to withstand thermal shock when heated)?

And do you know any in Europe?

I'd like to make products of it, but am afraid of experimenting with the clay production.

Many thanks in advance

Palo

Do you know any flameware clay sellers (“flameproof†clay formulated to withstand thermal shock when heated)?

And do you know any in Europe?

I'd like to make products of it, but am afraid of experimenting with the clay production.

Many thanks in advance

Palo

From the forums page, search for flameware.

There have been a few threads on this, but I don't think you'll find much help as most seem to be against it as too risky.

The only one I know of currently available anymore is one made by Leslie Ceramics/IMCO and that's for USA/California.  

I think a lot of companies stopped producing them because there's too much risk since consumers are so "sue-happy" these days.  Quite unfortunate.

Good luck finding one in the UK, can't help there.

HI there,

Standard Ceramic has a newer clay, #762, which they bill as kitchenware.  After initial glaze fit testing, I made a couple of stove top pots and am using them for an extended test.  So far, the clay body and glazes are taking the abuse on a gas stove.  I don't know if I'd ever sell or give these type of pots away, but for my use at home I'm happy so far.  

Rob