How To Increase Crackle Effect In Raku

Hi all, needing advice on how to increase the crackle effects during a raku firing. Last two times I rakued with a basic clear crackle glaze I got minimal crackles if any at all. I tried holding the piece in the air to cool it down hoping to get it to crackle and no such luck. Any suggestions. Thanks. Joe

I use an air compressor to blow briefly on the pot or a piece of tubing and my lungs before I can it. You will see and hear the cracks forming. A small can to fit the piece and newspaper. Glaze thickness is a factor as well. Good luck.

I've dunked some pieces in water to try and enhance the crackle, with some success.  I've also seen videos of a potter, who would set his wares in snow, then put the combustibles on top of them, then a metal container to create the reduction chamber.  They achieved a nice crackle through this method.  

I apply crackle glazes more thick than other raku. Also, I mist the pieces with a squirt bottle before they go into the reduction material. I do this while the pieces are still in the kiln since we have a top hat kiln where the lid raises up. If you have a different kiln just remove the piece and set it on an old kiln shelf and mist it quickly and then get it into the reduction material.  rakuku

I keep some green foliage nearby& roll the pot in it before reduction. It works great & the crackles appear better where you roll first as the pot is really hot & burns the leaves or grass or pine or cedar. Love the sound of crackle while doing it.

Joy

Archived