Newbie Concerned With Home Studio Safety/dust

Will offer a bit of advice that is overlooked when discussing in home studio safety.  You have a basement, so I will assume the furnace is also nearby. Two things will help restore your joyful experiences: 1. Install a bypass wall ventilation fan. They make models to fit inside your old basement windows. Turn it on to circulate air, and to Evac dust when you clean. 2. -more important than #1. 3M makes a particulate air filters for your furnace. They filter down to 1 micron (pollen is 3 microns).. They come in standard filter sizes and should be changed every three months. Any dust that escapes the dreaded damp mop will be caught in the filter, and not circulated into other parts of your home.  Available at Lowes, Home Depot, and a few other hardware stores. http://www.filtrete.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/FiltreteNA/Filtrete/Products/?N=7568680+4315+3294529207&rt=r3&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=FILTRT_Exact_3m_air_filters&gclid=CKiD-vb8tMsCFdcYgQodhykFCA

Nerd

Wood dust is also a health hazard. (think sanding)

Years ago I made a box and installed an attic fan and slot to insert the same filters you as suggested. An oil burner squirrel cage should work as good. You might be able to get a used one from an oil burner service tech.

Back then attic fans where around $30, I see they are closer to $60 now, along with $20 worth of plywood and a few bucks for filters and you have an inexpensive and efficient air filtration system.

RRS:

325 mesh silica translates to 45/48 microns. Regular home furnace filters will not pick up that small of dust particle: but the ones I recommended above will.

Nerd

I know this was posted months ago but I hope you're still around.

When I click the link provided, it takes me to a page that shows 7 different products.  I can't tell which one you are referring to.  Can you give us the name of the actual filter?  Sorry, I can't seem to tell which one would be appropriate.  Probably not the "basic" or the one for the room air conditioner, I'm guessing, LOL!

Is it the Filtrete Health?  That one seems to have the highest Microparticle Performance Rating, which I think means it filters out smaller particles...

Guest JBaymore

Important to note here that the 'problem particles' for ceramic dusts as far as respiratory illnesses go are SUB-micron.  The filter media for those sizes is a HEPA rated one. 

Those filters are so "fine" in their openings that they really impact the pressure drop across the filter media.... so the circulation capacity of fans / blowers is severely taxed.  You can't just pop them in where a coarser filter media is called for... and expect the unit to work correctly.

best,

................john

Good to know John, Thanks

So maybe this one would be the preferred filter

Filtreteâ„¢ Healthy Living Air Filters include the following MPR (Microparticle Performance Rating) levels: 1500, 1550, 1900, 2200, 2400, and 2800

My recommendation was to help knock down dust that is air-borne: not to purify the air completely. A 1" filter performs according to ASHREA standards: as they load with particles; it will however slow down air flow. That means changing them on a 90 day rotation.

Nerd

Archived