Color Depth For Stains At ^6 On White Stoneware

Without stains, I am having trouble getting bright reds, yellows and oranges, However, with stains the color seems flat, I would like to get more color depth when using yellow, orange and red stains. I've been mixing stains with clear glazes.  

Should I be mixing my stains with other than clear glaze?

Would it work to add a small amount of stain to the  "natural" glaze that is closest to what I'm looking for... to brighten it up?

Is there some additive that would be helpful?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

I'd echo Diesel's advice about using titania.   I've been using a glaze that has titania, boron, and lithium, which gives a very active surface-- the glaze boils at top temp and eats into the colored slips beneath.  Small variations in thickness and spray pattern (of the slip) lead to interesting surface textures.

This is a whitish sort of glaze-- the opacity comes from the titania. 

post-65900-0-28962300-1457127745_thumb.jpg

post-65900-0-28962300-1457127745_thumb.jpg

Tried degussa red? One part stain, four parts gerstley borate. It smells like raunchy egg farts, but gives a beautiful red...

Err do many of your glazes smell?

The cadmium colours come from cadmium seleno-sulphides. Both sulphur and selenium are notorious for producing

smelly compounds (like rotten eggs, garlic, ...). But they should be safely encapsulated, shouldn't they?

Larry, I'd be happy to share it, but it is a cone 8 glaze.  I suspect it could be easily modified for 6

45  Custer spar

14  Silica

11  Whiting

14  Kaolin (I use EPK)

10  Gerstley Borate

6   Lithium Carb

Add

6 Titanium dioxide

By itself, on porcelain, it's a fairly wishy-washy glossy translucent semi-white.  But over colored slips it is a lot more interesting. I use it pretty thin, dipping at SG 1.45.  Used thick, it can run off the pot, but if it's thick on the rim, you get interesting color variations.

I modified this from a Cone 10 Arrowmont glaze that was tinted with cobalt.

post-65900-0-63084700-1457140870_thumb.jpg

post-65900-0-63084700-1457140870_thumb.jpg

Archived