Bipolar And Other Disorders

I am bipolar, a rather ambiguous term as each person who claims to be is influenced differently. For me, I am generally depressed at the start of January, March, May, July, September, November and function faster at the start of the other 6 months. Cyclomania is what this subset is called.

In areas of work where consistency is valued, it is horrible. So far it works very well with pottery.

During the euphoric state, I make pottery. I throw frequently because this is when my work is excellent.

During the slower time, I do tedious tasks and glazing.

--

I have also said that being obsessive-compulsive is good for pottery. Especially when glazing work. Keeping surfaces clean and working in controlled ways makes fine finished work. And you get to wash hands every few minutes!

--

Do other people use disorders to make pottery?

I haven't been diagnosed, yet. hmm. But I have days that really depress me. Oh, wait, I was thinking about politics. Anyway, when I feel bad, I do not argue, I take it easy, procrastinate or nap. The latter helps. I also meditate. I think rest and less stress is best. I wish you well. 

Working in clay really provides focus, and it makes me very happy..even failures. Failures offer challenge for problem solving.Professional help is really the best care, but I think clay is excellent preoccupation or occupation.

Marcia

"Pottery is at once the simplest and the most difficult of all arts. It is the simplest because it is the most elemental; it is the most difficult because it is the most abstract." -Herbert Read

But it isn't enjoyable, it can be managed but there is a lot of sheer angst.

Glad you have found a way of working with this Mathew, and being smart enough to know what to tackle.

Driven or totally focused, that is hard enough to live with, by the look on my poor partner's face some times.......Pendulum swings for both of us ,it's just when both up or down that is truly difficult.

Put very thickly , unmindfully, glazed pots on a new shelf last week, won't share the picture, that "canvas" is facing the wall, literally, until I get energy again.

Self study is a must.

Kudos to you Mathew for being brave enough to talk publicly about your mental health. 

I have a niece who has Bipolar, she’s been to hell and back several times. One of those unfortunate souls who can’t seem to find medications that work for her despite trying anything and everything available. Countless hours of psychiatry sessions, hospitalizations, self harming, dropped out of uni and on and on. Tough road to go down, hopefully mental health will continue to be more openly talked about, you never know who is lurking out there and your post might help someone out. 

I’m glad you have come to terms with how to work with your diagnosis.

Everyone has their own opinions and ideas of what a "hero" is. When I see people dealing with challenges, or coming out the other side of a major tragedy with determination: I put them in the hero column. Standing up when everything in your heart, soul, and mind wants to sit down; takes courage and strength.

nerd

So another common problem with bipolar people is finishing things. With flowing thoughts the concept of maintaining a feeling to the end is very hard. In my own life I have many incomplete things. Projects forgotten. Goals left unfinished. It happens in clay, too. They go away quietly and are easy to forget.

So in pottery, there also is something magical about going from unfinished and glazed to completely done. There are no opportunities to "almost" finish a piece and still have it "done". It happens all in one step.

• 5 months later...

Archived