Sign in to follow this  
crust

Can't See Cones Through Peep Hole

I have a small electric kiln. I place my cone holder and cones just inside the upper peep hole but I can hardly make out the cones when the kiln is glowing red inside. Tried welding helmet and sunglasses but I barely can make them out. What is the answer?

On a previous question on looking at cones someone suggested putting a pot directly behind them and you can see them better.   I can't see them either even with my husband welding mask on, he can see them for me.  I have a old kiln with a kiln sitter on it and a dual pyrometer set up I use to watch the temp. Denice

Another trick that works is to use a flashlight to shine in. Sounds weird, but works.  I fire completely with cones so seeing each drop is important to me. I load mine in a cone pack perpendicular to the length of the clay lug so they fall on one side then the other. Placing them properly with a pot behind and in the same angle as the peep plug goes in the peep but in side on the shelf allows me to see the cones easily when I shine the flashlight.

best,

Pres