Sign in to follow this  
Pugaboo

Need To Make Slip A Bright White

I did some test plates with 2 white slip and 2 with white underglaze. The white underglaze is a MUCH brighter white. I used Mason 10% Stain 6700 in my test slip mixture. Is there something else I can use to try and get a brighter white, one more like the white underglaze?

I am trying to find a more economical way of putting simple background color on pieces. underglaze is expensive when you start using it on multiple pieces across the entire piece.

T

I slake down Helios porcelain and use it as a slip on Little Loafers . . . much brighter background for underglaze decoration.  Using a thin application of slip has not created any fit issues between Helios and LL.  You could also use a grolleg slip in place of Helios. 

Thank you that's what I am trying to do. I use LL but it's a softer white not a bright white and I am looking for a stark white background for design work. I will look and see if I can get Helios at a reasonable price.

I thinki have some Zircopax, if I do I will try a test batch using 10% in the slip. Test test test

T