Just getting started

I'm new to the clay community, I thought I would introduce myself and share a few pieces.

I bought a kiln a couple months ago and started doing some experimenting with pottery. I made my own slab roller and started out making plates with my kids.

Its a blast! I have a huge work table on wheels in the shop 4' x 10' where we work together, turn some tunes on and just hang with me girls.

Lotta giggling and I love that sound!! :D

This is considered functional art; you can use em as dinnerware and I intend on using the serving platter but for the most part the stuff is for looking at as art.

A large serving platter, I mixed two different clays together for effect, I'll use a semi-transparent glaze so I don't cover it up.

Its about 12" by 18" and 5/16" thick.

100_3493.jpg

100_3492.jpg

The small bowls were formed over other bowls. Relatively free-formed.

As well with the plates, just formed over other plates.

100_3484.jpg

100_3488.jpg

again mixed clays,

100_3487.jpg

This one I did off center and used a rag to impart some delicate wrinkles that will fill with glaze and produce interesting effects when fired

100_3486.jpg

My girls think I'm a little nuts for this one, its my 'spilling bowl'

100_3490.jpg

100_3485.jpg

I envision it on my dresser gently holding my wallet, keys and spare change while I slumber. I liked it so much I went out last night and made a couple more similar. I'll have a full kiln next weekend.

Sam made a 'peace-Love' plate:

100_3489.jpg

Last night the three of us made a few more pieces, Ill get more pics later.

Yeah, I have had a few plates warp, some a great deal. I found if I leave em in the form overnight the warping is minimized.

Last night my daughter got on board with the 'art' and abstract aspect and created this:

100_3501-2.jpg

100_3502-1.jpg

she chopped up pieces of clay till she had a pile of pieces then we rolled it out and she just trimmed the loose ends away and formed it to the bowl. She is real proud of the result.

I cant wait to fill the kiln come saturday.

I'll bisc to cone 06 then glaze to cone 5.5

I'm new to the clay community, I thought I would introduce myself and share a few pieces.

I bought a kiln a couple months ago and started doing some experimenting with pottery. I made my own slab roller and started out making plates with my kids.

Its a blast! I have a huge work table on wheels in the shop 4' x 10' where we work together, turn some tunes on and just hang with me girls.

Lotta giggling and I love that sound!! biggrin.gif

This is considered functional art; you can use em as dinnerware and I intend on using the serving platter but for the most part the stuff is for looking at as art.

..... Beautiful! And your enthusiasm is quite infectious - makes me want to have a go too!

Christine

When firing large platters without a foot, you might want to consider resting the platter on clay slats. The slats, rolled out to the same thickness as your platter, raise the platter off the surface of the kiln shelf. Kiln shelves retain heat longer than your wares; so the edges of the platter will be cooling before the bottom that sits on the shelf. Plus, the expansion and shrinking of the platter during firing can cause cracks if the platter grabs or gets snagged on an uneven kiln shelf surface. Use the same set of slats for bisque firing and then glaze firing.

Archived