The Death Of The Artist...

The link didn't work for some reason.  Does this one work better?  http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/01/the-death-of-the-artist-and-the-birth-of-the-creative-entrepreneur/383497/

Very interesting article.  It definitely crystallizes an opinion I've seen a lot of lately.  I do find it interesting that a few words are very lacking.  "Talent" is only used once, original and originality only occur once each, and innovation occurs not at all.  That is to say, the modus operandi of artist "genius" is not acknowledged at all.

I enjoyed rereading this article.

There is always someone trying to identify the work of artists or fine craftsmen that reflects the

inner genius of its creator. Will the "art" created during the past 100 years that has been preserved in museums and private collections be considered important 200 years from now? Curators and critics

have an interest in promoting their collections to preserve their value.

I enjoy living in the moment, creating whatever, in a way that intrigues me, and placing the final

product before the public (customers). Selling allows me to buy more materials and create anew.

getting glaze on the hundred or so empty bowls in st pete was the purpose of the group working one day last week. lots of bowls. some were decorated by various people in slip, underglaze, glaze and overglaze. i am sure someday, someone will try to work out the "deep meaning of the designs on the interior of the bowls".

Thanks Tyler, for reposting the link. 

We are having that discussion in my little burg right now.  The painters feel that the rest of us are not really artists.  so they don't like being lumped in with potters/jewelry makers/weavers/ for local art events.  I love promoting the "arts" wherever a person may find it.  We are trying to find a way to include rather than exclude.  Not sure how that will happen.  Just plan an event and see who wants to play, I guess. 

Semantics causing a rift, once again!!

I agree Old Lady!!  I wonder what the world will think of all my shellac resist pots in 100 years.

KarenK, do you call yourself an artist then?

Whatever it is we do, it does require hard work. That much I know.

r.

Archived