Foodsafe stains?

DanG

Hi, Im new to using stains in tableware and have had a very frustrating time trying to determine if the stain I am using (or any other stain formula for that matter) can be certified as foodsafe and therefore safe to sell to the public.

I am currently using a beautiful blue bought in Australia through Rockwood pigments called CT1503.

The formula is Co Al, so I assume its a cobalt tint with alumina fluxing.

I am using this stain as a BODY stain in mid fire slip and although the tableware will probably be clear glazed, I also want to be sure that even if theres sections uncoated in a clear glaze, that the fired body itself will not leach anything harmfull when used domestically AND I can provide some kind of cirtification to assure buyers that this is the case.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to the right authority or a source online by which I can determine these things?

Ive contacted Rockwood but they seem to know less than anyone about this!

Any help appreciated!

Dan

The only way to know for sure is to have a laboratory test for leeching. Make a cup, glaze and fire it, then send it to a laboratory that can test for cobal leeching. Two frequently cited laboratories in the U.S. are: Alfred Analytical Laboratory, 4964 kenyon Road, Alfred Station, NY, 14803 and Brandywine Science Center, Inc., 204 Line Road, Kennett Square, PA, 19348. Call them and ask about how to submit, costs, etc.

The only way to know for sure is to have a laboratory test for leeching. Make a cup, glaze and fire it, then send it to a laboratory that can test for cobal leeching. Two frequently cited laboratories in the U.S. are: Alfred Analytical Laboratory, 4964 kenyon Road, Alfred Station, NY, 14803 and Brandywine Science Center, Inc., 204 Line Road, Kennett Square, PA, 19348. Call them and ask about how to submit, costs, etc.

Alfred Analytical is closed.

I just heard back from Rockwood and they said it was 100% foodsafe... but yes, I still feel a little unsure about that without testing.

Im in Australia, maybe theres someone over here who can do this.

BTW does cobalt have a reputation for leaching or for potential health problems in a fired state?

Archived