What Does Your Throwing Chair Look Like?

I use this. It work's pretty good. I get up usually every 10-15 pots and stretch because I learned the hard way doing tech work that sitting for multiple hours is never good for you.

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/shimpo-adjustable-potters-stool.html

I eventually want to get this really nice stool:

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/speedball-professional-potters-stool-st1.html

I sat in it at my local shop, it was nice. 

I just linked that site, I am sure there are cheaper places to buy either or. Googled it quickly.

chris,  you will need to think about more than just a stool or chair when you start throwing.  the entire area around your wheel should be designed to help you work and stay comfortable doing it.  different muscles, stretching, motions will let you know that you are using your body differently.  i know you are aware of all this but it is a good time to remind yourself of your physical needs as you change your direction.

just make sure that whatever you pick, you do not stay in it very long at a stretch.  my "office chair" is the same kind AT&T bought for every employee at the huge building  they created in the 1980s.  it is comfortable to sit in and has arm rests. lots of research went into its selection.   i use it because i work on pots still on their bats over a multi step process.  i can pull up a wooden foot rest and change positions easily.

the workstation surrounding my wheel forces me to stretch in all directions so i am not hunched over a wheel all the time.  if i kept the top cleaner, it would give me a large space to put just thrown pots.

however you decide to surround yourself, just be sure you can get up and down easily and do it often. 

I use this 18" stool. It also comes with a padded seat but I prefer the hardboard. I coated my wood with a polyurethane, really not necessary, but makes wiping it down easier. I purchased mine through Amazon and with Prime, shipping was free.

National Public Seating 6218 Grey Steel Stool, $31 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J3UZ58/ref=s9_simh_gw_g328_i1_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=08PXS4DM0D9WJ1V2DG0B&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I have thrown on angled cut tree stump steel stools,cut leg wood chairs pressed steel tractor seats office chairs .

The thing is when you get older I tend to want more back support and the stool that John and I use is fully adjustable in all planes up down back forth tilted up or not and has a back support that really works.

I find it's a bit like riding a narrow horse. I would never go back to any of the other above seats after using this one.

After throwing in a lot of chairs, on buckets, shower stools, and all sorts of other things, I use this one

31xxihjs2gl.jpgST-4 by Speedball. I ordered 8 for the HS before I left and they held up well. Now I have my own and love it.

best,

Pres

The blue padded shimpo is ok. I prefer padding under my butt these days. no more steel stools. I read some where about using one of those shower stall seats (they are adjustable and cheap at the thrift store). I have a foam pad I use under me for my Lockerbie kicker. 

Have you thought about elevating your wheel. I did this the other day with one of my RK2's and am glad I did for now. I bought six cinder blocks for about $6.50 and shimmed with some newspaper. I see the profile better and am not hunched over. I like it. However for throwing anything over 16" I would need to remove a set of blocks; I found myself on my tippy toes which probably looks hilarious. Put me in a tutu and you have a 325lb ballerina potter.

Here is a pic of my black chair and raised wheel.

post-66695-0-60377900-1451879674_thumb.jpg

post-66695-0-60377900-1451879674_thumb.jpg

All the heights are very specific to the person. First, I have both my thighs level. The left foot is on a height of two 2x4's which perfectly matches the height the pedal. Make it extra large and the left foot will always find a comfortable spot.

Then the wheel head (with a bat) need to be at the right height. I did this with blocks of 4x4's (two 2x4's screwed together to make a T also works). For these wooden extensions, add a button of wood so the wheel legs cannot slip out. They are much easier to remove than bricks!

And my chair is just a wooden stool without a back. It is exactly the right height to make all the above comfortable. I cannot stand stools with wheels and find tall backrests make it annoying to get in and out of.

Green CXC

We have 2 of the ST-4's like Pres posted... They are great, good seat, very adjustable (up-down - pivot seat), stable!!! One thing you might want to do when throwing is find something to sit your lazy foot on, (the foot not controlling the speed controller) .. I think it helps with ergonomics if both of my feet are at the same angle..  I hurt my back years ago and was very stressed about getting a chair, I have had no pain what so ever since we purchased these... I love them... Good Luck and have fun...

• 3 months later...

chris and what?, do not neglect to install a mirror so you do not hunch over or stretch to get a sideways glimpse of part of your pot as you form it.  a simple mirror set at an angle to show exactly what you have on the wheelhead is a time, muscle and back saver.  what else can you get for 99 cents that does so much?

Archived