Big Pottery For Fireplace

Ah ha!  I was wondering about those additions on the "bottom" of the pot.  The pot is meant to be hung.  Not a usable design for the vast majority of us, however, watching the use of a primitive wheel set up was very interesting and makes me grateful for my equipment.  Also, when swinging the pot cover off , I would no doubt end up with a bunch of ash dumped on the food.

Hi guys there is no any ash on the food haha LOL every person who tasted the food under this was suprised by the taste we dont cook anymore under this usual dishes, not even our users of this kind of pottery,

This is not thrown this is more like building the dish this skill is used by our ancesters and there is no much left of us just three of us doing like this...

• 2 months later...

I like Sloan-Quinn's idea, a great breakfast after your wood firing!

The coil-adding technique is very new to me. Holding the fat coil inside the pot and "screwing" it firmly against the pot and the outside supporting hand seems to make a better and more efficient coil addition than the usual "lay on a coil and smooth the join". No coil separations here!

The outside ridges, before they were smoothed, appear to be the the same as the added decorations on the massive wine jars I saw in Pompeii.

Lovely old technique that deserves to be continued. Thank you, Pile Pottery, for sharing.

Archived