Lava Glaze Options

stonegarden

I've been using Marilee's lava glaze, and like the effect, but ran across a product at Menard's yesterday that got me wondering, could a lava glaze be made with a good bit of coal slag in it? The product is called Black Blast, and is made for sandblasting. It is 99% pulverized coal slag, and looks like crushed black glass. The material data sheet on it noted a melting temperature of 2500 degrees.

Has anyone tried using this in a lava-like glaze? I am going for a very rustic, rocky surface for planters and bonsai pots.

• 3 weeks later...

Photo of a test out if the kiln today: the brown patch on the end is a small pile of the Black Blast; the brown bob in the middle is BB mixed into iron oxide wash; the grey-black blob on the end s Marilee's lava glaze, worth black stain added, and a large percentage of BB stirred in. I as not measuring anything for this first test, but results are promising.

Interesting, so it is kind of a frit made from melted ash?

Found some chemistry. http://www.optaminerals.com/Abrasives/Blackblast-Coal-Slag.html Is it cheaper than standard rocks?

Symbol	Name	                   PercentageSiO2	(Silicon Dioxide, Total)   ~46.5%Al2O2	(Aluminum Oxide)	   ~22.5%Fe2O3	(Iron Oxide)	           ~19.0%CaO	(Calcium Oxide)	           ~5.5%MgO	(Magnesium Oxide)	   ~1.0%TiO2	(Titanium Oxide)	   ~1.0%SiO2	(Crystalline Silica)	   <0.1%Loss on ignition	(LOI)	   ~3.0%

• 2 weeks later...

The ingredient list looks familiar, from my perusal of Menards safer data sheet for Black Blast. It is a repurposed product sold for sand blasting. Fairly fine texture. For a 50# bag, I think it was well under ten dollars.

I just got a few pots out frm bisque firing that had this material, and one or two with crushed granite, as well (chicken grit, at the local feed store), pressed into the clay. I will give them a light wash with iron oxide, maybe try a watered down clear glaze, and fire to cone six. Pix to follow, good or bad!

Archived