What percent of moist clay by weight is water? I'm trying to see if it makes $ sense to mix my own clay.

podgen

I'm thinking about mixing my own clay from raw materials.

I'm wondering what percent of the weight of moist clay is water so I can calculate how much cheaper it may or may not be to mix my own and decide if it makes sense. I've searched the internet but can't find what I'm looking for.

I have access to a mixer but not a pug mill.

Water is roughly 30% of wet clay.

Marcia

Thanks!

I guess to follow that up, if I am mixing clay and let's say I have 200 lbs of dry materials, should I shoot for adding about 60lbs of water? And for comparison, that would give me 260lbs of moist clay?

I'm thinking about mixing my own clay from raw materials.

?

I'm wondering what percent of the weight of moist clay is water so I can calculate how much cheaper it may or may not be to mix my own and decide if it makes sense. I've searched the internet but can't find what I'm looking for.

I have access to a mixer but not a pug mill.

The cost of just the ingredients is not the biggest factor. Mixing your own clay is another time intensive step to add onto all the other steps of making pottery.

Can you afford the time involved? How about the price of the pugger? Compare the price of the equipment to make all the clay to how much already made clay actually costs...

MM

The cost of just the ingredients is not the biggest factor. Mixing your own clay is another time intensive step to add onto all the other steps of making pottery.

Can you afford the time involved? How about the price of the pugger? Compare the price of the equipment to make all the clay to how much already made clay actually costs...

MM

You're right that cost isn't the only factor.

I don't really want to put in the extra effort, but I probably have more time than money these days.

I have access to a mixer so I wouldn't have to buy any equipment, but I'd have to do some wedging.

Archived