Little Specks Of Something Showing Up On My Glazed Pieces...what's It From?

cmdutcher

My kiln is an Econo j236 from the late 80s or maybe 90s.  Cone 6 electric kiln. I'm the 3rd owner of it and don't really know the history of it  as to parts being replaced etc.  It seems like every single glaze firing, I end up with these tiny specks of something ruining my big bowls.  They're raised and sharp to the touch.  I'm wondering if it's from the fire brick? However the lid has no cracks whatsoever and seems to be in good shape.  There are a couple slightly broken bricks in the sides, but would that get inside a bowl?  Some of my shelves are also broken (this is really starting to make it sound like a piece of garbage, but this is not from me) so I'm wondering if the specks could be coming off there? We used broken shelves at college regularly without a problem to my knowledge.

Anyone know how to fix this? Or is it a matter of replacing things?

Thank you in advance!

Couple of possibilities . . . kiln wash flaking off the shelves -- is there any kiln wash on the bottom of your shelves?  Dirt/dust falling from the bottom of kiln shelves.  Pieces from broken shelves or bricks that fall off during loading of the kiln.  Could you post a picture?  That might help explain what is happening. 

If the flakes are glazed, strain the glaze. Usually, if something is falling

onto items during the glaze fire, they're not necessarily sharp, and won't be completely glazed.

It probably is trimmings that fell down into the vessel, then glazed over, or its

trash in the glaze.

Send photos, if possible.

Thanks,

Alabama

Archived