Low fire clay and functionality

PuraVida

Hey everybody,

I have come across a large amount of cone 06 white clay and was wondering if glazed with low fire 06 lead free glaze if this clay can be used for functional ware as well. To date all of my experience with functional ware has been with cone 6 stoneware and cone 6 glazes. So is this clay practical for that use as well or should I just plan on making decorative and raku ware with it?

Thanks

Anthony

Yes it is suitable for functional ware. It is white earthenware. It is not as durable as stoneware or porcelain and hot boiling water poured onto or into a vessel made of earthenware may craze the glaze. But it has the capabilities of being very brightly decorated due to the stability of the glaze colors at that temperature. Also, the lower maturing temperature of the clay allows for a more economical firing than the clay bodies in the higher ranges.

Hey everybody,

I have come across a large amount of cone 06 white clay and was wondering if glazed with low fire 06 lead free glaze if this clay can be used for functional ware as well. To date all of my experience with functional ware has been with cone 6 stoneware and cone 6 glazes. So is this clay practical for that use as well or should I just plan on making decorative and raku ware with it?

Thanks

Anthony

Archived