Underglaze and stoneware?

Hello all,

I have a thick sculpted piece out of stoneware (firing range ^6-10) and then I have some Amaco velvet underglaze, which states that is CAN be fired up to ^6.

In an attempt to try a one time fire, I have brushed on the underglaze on top of the greenware stoneware sculpture. Has anyone else attempted this type of firing before, and was it successful, or unsuccessful, or honestly, and opinions or hypothesis are welcomed. I have searched around google, and other boards, but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

Hello all,

I have a thick sculpted piece out of stoneware (firing range ^6-10) and then I have some Amaco velvet underglaze, which states that is CAN be fired up to ^6.

In an attempt to try a one time fire, I have brushed on the underglaze on top of the greenware stoneware sculpture. Has anyone else attempted this type of firing before, and was it successful, or unsuccessful, or honestly, and opinions or hypothesis are welcomed. I have searched around google, and other boards, but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

When you say 'a one time fire' you are applying a covering glaze? If you are using the velvets alone, firing at cone 6 should be fine for most colors of the velvets. But certain colors will change at the higher temperatures. Many of the velvets are stable to cone 10. Here are the color charts for you to see the results at cone 05, cone 5, and cone 10; the samples are half glazed. You may have to increase your screen size to view the catalog numbers and glaze names. These charts are also available at http://www.amaco.com/shop/product-458-velvet-v-underglazes-lead-free.html

post-2283-13135256900614_thumb.jpg

post-2283-13135257156405_thumb.jpg

post-2283-13135257293352_thumb.jpg

post-2283-13135256900614_thumb.jpg

post-2283-13135257156405_thumb.jpg

post-2283-13135257293352_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

When you say 'a one time fire' you are applying a covering glaze? If you are using the velvets alone, firing at cone 6 should be fine for most colors of the velvets. But certain colors will change at the higher temperatures. Many of the velvets are stable to cone 10. Here are the color charts for you to see the results at cone 05, cone 5, and cone 10; the samples are half glazed. You may have to increase your screen size to view the catalog numbers and glaze names. These charts are also available at http://www.amaco.com...-lead-free.html

I guess technically, it wouldn't be a one time fire, because I wasn't planning on putting my clear coat on. I didn't even really think about that! Thanks for sharing the charts. I suppose it should be alright then if I fire to ^6.

Archived