Stuart Thomas intergrate vs removable splash pan

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better, the Thomas Stuart integrated or removable splash pan?

I'm a beginner potter that has worked on the wheel twice over many years and am determined to become proficient. I've signed up for 12 weeks of pottery class at the Dunedin Fine Arts Center in Florida starting in a couple of weeks. I think the only way to become proficient is lots of practice on my own wheel. After a lot of reviewing, I've decided on a the 1/3 hp Skutt/Stuart Thomas wheel. However, I'm undecided between the integrated and removable splash pan. Integrated seems like it would be sturdier, but removable seems like it would be easier to clean. So which one is better?

I'm a beginner potter that has worked on the wheel twice over many years and am determined to become proficient. I've signed up for 12 weeks of pottery class at the Dunedin Fine Arts Center in Florida starting in a couple of weeks. I think the only way to become proficient is lots of practice on my own wheel. After a lot of reviewing, I've decided on a the 1/3 hp Skutt/Stuart Thomas wheel. However, I'm undecided between the integrated and removable splash pan. Integrated seems like it would be sturdier, but removable seems like it would be easier to clean. So which one is better?

Over the years I have found that I like the removable splash pans better for most of the work I do. I have a brent CXC with removable splash that works very well, and can be cleaned easily. On the side though, there are times when throwing large platters on large bats that I don't use the splash as it allows the space for the bat. I know that I could create a bat riser, but then why bother. When throwing that large, the splash isn't doing its job anyway.

Some people will like the supposedly stronger integrated splash, and they do work for me when doing trimming. The larger splash pan area is great for gathering trim scrap especially with some thin plastic risers to catch more of the trim.

So in the long run, the choice is all yours-what are your needs?

I have a Thomas Stuart with the integrated splashpan, but also have taken classes at studios where there were Brents, Pacificas, and Shimpos with removable splashpans.

I like the integrated splashpan, and cleaning it is pretty easy when you can just pop off the wheelhead (keep the attachment greased to make it easy to get off..lesson learned). Over time I have learned to use much less water than when starting out, so the splashpan doesn't accumulate much until I start trimming. I keep my water bucket in the pan for easy access.

I also purchased the "riser" that gets the wheelhead up above the splashpan, but have only used that feature once so far. I did not get the SSX drive, so I can't tell you if that is worth the cost, but it is supposed to offer better control a very slow speeds. I make do okay with the standard setup.

When I first got the TS wheel, I had planned on adding a drain to a slop bucket, and cutting in a "window" to push trimmings into a bucket. Didn't need either, but it would be easy to do. With a removable pan, such considerations are unnecessary, but when trimming you may have to empty the pan a few times in a long session; not so much with the TS, as the integrated pan is large enough for a lot of trimmings.

The thing about the removable splashpans on most, other than Brent, is they always seem very flimsy to me. I think a beefier splashpan is needed on several brands.

Like Pres said, it is a personal decision. Lately I have been throwing on a Shimpo Whisper, which was the other wheel I considered with the TS. Not sure I made the correct decision now...lol. Good luck with your choice.

John

I think that a two piece splash pan is so much easier than the integrated pan. Easier to clean, easy to remove. It is also easier to replace, should some tragedy befall it! Granted, they are hard to break, but some of us can always find a way. A two piece pan aalso provides for ease of lubrication and repair access.

I have a Thomas Stuart with the integrated splashpan, but also have taken classes at studios where there were Brents, Pacificas, and Shimpos with removable splashpans.

I like the integrated splashpan, and cleaning it is pretty easy when you can just pop off the wheelhead (keep the attachment greased to make it easy to get off..lesson learned). Over time I have learned to use much less water than when starting out, so the splashpan doesn't accumulate much until I start trimming. I keep my water bucket in the pan for easy access.

I also purchased the "riser" that gets the wheelhead up above the splashpan, but have only used that feature once so far. I did not get the SSX drive, so I can't tell you if that is worth the cost, but it is supposed to offer better control a very slow speeds. I make do okay with the standard setup.

When I first got the TS wheel, I had planned on adding a drain to a slop bucket, and cutting in a "window" to push trimmings into a bucket. Didn't need either, but it would be easy to do. With a removable pan, such considerations are unnecessary, but when trimming you may have to empty the pan a few times in a long session; not so much with the TS, as the integrated pan is large enough for a lot of trimmings.

The thing about the removable splashpans on most, other than Brent, is they always seem very flimsy to me. I think a beefier splashpan is needed on several brands.

Like Pres said, it is a personal decision. Lately I have been throwing on a Shimpo Whisper, which was the other wheel I considered with the TS. Not sure I made the correct decision now...lol. Good luck with your choice.

John

Hi, John, and thanks for the input. I also considered the Shimpo Whisper but liked the larger one piece splash pan on the Stuart Thomas. What about the Shimpo makes you not sure of your decision to purchase a Stuart Thomas?

John

Hi, John, and thanks for the input. I also considered the Shimpo Whisper but liked the larger one piece splash pan on the Stuart Thomas. What about the Shimpo makes you not sure of your decision to purchase a Stuart Thomas?

@ scoobydoozie -The Shimpo is very quiet, and smooth running, and has a good response. It just feels nice to throw on. One thing was pointed out to me that could be a problem for large ware. It seems to have a positive brake, so if you were to have a large pot on you could potentially stop the wheelhead and the momentum of the large pot could torque and distort, or collapse, the pot. Once you know that I should think it would become second nature to avoid slowing too quickly. On the other hand, once you go to stop the wheelhead turns freely, which can be helpful when altering and glazing a pot (sort of like a banding wheel.) And the splashpan is removable, although I don't think it fits together as well as a Brent pan. On the two I have used, the pan has separated a little on both while throwing.

@ Diana - The shaft extension piece can be purchased to get the wheelhead up above the fixed splashpan for large diameter bats.

John

I use a Bailey wheel with a very large removable splash pan. Love it. It's very quiet, I can set the speed with the foot pedal so I don't have to keep my foot on it all the time and the wheel head turns manually when needed. It's my first wheel but I like it better than the Brent and Pacifica wheels I learned on.

I use a Bailey wheel with a very large removable splash pan. Love it. It's very quiet, I can set the speed with the foot pedal so I don't have to keep my foot on it all the time and the wheel head turns manually when needed. It's my first wheel but I like it better than the Brent and Pacifica wheels I learned on.

Before I retired, I bought 3 baileys with the removable pan, and one that was integrated. The integrated wheel ended up as a favorite for trimming by everyone as the pan collected a lot of trim scrap easily. The others were great for most of the kids and adult to throw on. I found that throwing 25# or more on it that I would torque it down, and it would whine on me. It would still throw the larger pots, just that centering was rough as compared to the CI HP in the studio or the Brent CXC at home.

I recently bought a TS Legend after learning on both Brents and Shimps at school. I prefered the wheel that did not spin freely ,when I wanted the pots to stay still it did, so that was a large part of my choice.

The shimpo whispers didn't last long under the big strong guys at school.

Mine has the removable pan, 1 piece, I like the size because I can put tools and water right up close to the wheel , I have short arms.

But, I did not realize that the TS is wider at the front where you sit. That took some getting used to. The big pan is great for trimmings, but I did add a taller, removable screen to keep more trimmings in.

I have the regular pedal it is very steady at slow speeds I can't bog it down.

I recently bought a TS Legend after learning on both Brents and Shimps at school. I prefered the wheel that did not spin freely ,when I wanted the pots to stay still it did, so that was a large part of my choice.

Mine has the removable pan, 1 piece, I like the size because I can put tools and water right up close to the wheel , I have short arms.

But, I did not realize that the TS is wider at the front where you sit. That took some getting used to. The big pan is great for trimmings, but I did add a taller, removable screen to keep more trimmings in.

Thanks, Clay Lover! This helps a lot on brand choices and corresponds with a lot of what I have read. I have 3 different size Shimpo banding wheels, so I don't really need the free turning wheel head and having the pottery wheel stay put seems to make sense to me for the way I work.

Thanks, Clay Lover! This helps a lot on brand choices and corresponds with a lot of what I have read. I have 3 different size Shimpo banding wheels, so I don't really need the free turning wheel head and having the pottery wheel stay put seems to make sense to me for the way I work.

Wanted to add, buy bigger, stronger than you think you need now as a learner. I made the mistake of buying what fit my needs at the time on some equipment and a year later was rebuying. Ie hand extruder, compressor, wheel.

Archived