ceramic panels- found, or made?

Hello ceramicists!

I actually haven't worked with ceramics for many years, going all the way back to early college years.

I'm a fine artist, primarily a painter, and i've recently been inspired by a particular work I saw, to make a similar structure to use as a ceramic "canvas."

I'm essentially interested in panels- in the shape of stretched canvas - that have a glazed white surface, which i'll then use as a painting/mixed media surface.

My question, then, is: can objects similar to this be found at certain stores, or ordered? Or do they need to be made? And if so, should I just look up the local ceramic shop, or? I realize this could involve an investment in getting into ceramic-making again, but I'm hoping to find the most direct, time-economic route possible...

If there's a better section of the forum to be posting this question, just let me know and I'll post it there.

many thanks in advance for any feedback-

Michael

Hello ceramicists!

I actually haven't worked with ceramics for many years, going all the way back to early college years.

I'm a fine artist, primarily a painter, and i've recently been inspired by a particular work I saw, to make a similar structure to use as a ceramic "canvas."

I'm essentially interested in panels- in the shape of stretched canvas - that have a glazed white surface, which i'll then use as a painting/mixed media surface.

My question, then, is: can objects similar to this be found at certain stores, or ordered? Or do they need to be made? And if so, should I just look up the local ceramic shop, or? I realize this could involve an investment in getting into ceramic-making again, but I'm hoping to find the most direct, time-economic route possible...

If there's a better section of the forum to be posting this question, just let me know and I'll post it there.

Michael

Hello Michael

Here are some links that will answer most of your questions about ceramic canvas and how to use it.

http://ceramicartsda...ing-substrates/

This is the original article on CAD recommending them.

http://www.ceramicartcart.com/

These are the original suppliers who deal online. They also have Robin Hopper's DVD on this technique.

I note that you are specifically talking about glazed white panels. Keep in mind that when you are working with these glazed surfaces you are entering the realm of Overglaze decorating which is also known as Porcelain Painting/China Painting. There is a whole lot of new learning that will have to take place.

Johanna

Google "ceramic palette" and you will come up with many sources. Bear in mind that dropping it will yield the expected result, broken palette shards. But, they are non-absorbent, non-staining and come in several configurations, but most I have seen have wells and are trays rather than bounded slabs like you want.

John

Guest JBaymore

The original poster is looking for ceramic PANELS ....not palettes.

Large scale piinting canvas sized sheets of ceramics that remain FLAT are very difficult to produce. How big are you thinking?

There is a ceramic tile company in Japan that produces very large scale items like this and collaborates with artists... but I can't at the moment for the LIFE of me remember the name. I'll keep thinking and (hopefully) get back to you.

best,

.....john

Guest HerbNorris

A Google search with the following term should give you a few suppliers, perhaps they would have something suitable:

porcelain enamelled panels

Architect Richard Meier used to clad many of his buildings in these panels, mostly in the '80s. At that time there was only one company in the world making them.

Hello ceramicists!

Michael

When you say 'ceramic canvas' what exactly do you mean? There are many 'ceramic' surfaces that can be 'painted'. Do you want to 'paint' on a greenware clay surface, a fired clay surface, a fired or green porcelain surface, or what?

It is a bit involved using underglazes and glazes; you must test the color results to develop a color palette to understand the gradations of color and the amount of oxides you need to achieve those colors. Just 'painting a ceramic surface' is too broad a statement what do you really want to try? What did you see to spur you on?

Hello ceramicists!

Michael

Sooo, let me get this right? You are looking for Ceramic supports to use as a ground for painting? Are you interested in using traditional painting media on the ground? Do you wish to have the ground glazed or unglazed. Most oils and acrylics will have a more difficult time adhering to a gloss glazed ceramic surface, but it could be done, just as using a semi matt ground surface may work better. If you are looking for a more permanent solution, then the underglaze/inglaze solution would work better, however your media would be closer to watercolor or gauche, depending on you application and overglaze choice. You have not mentioned the aspect of using a support that is more 3 dimensional for your painting(P. Picasso did it on functional pottery) a shaped ground direction in 3D surface could lend new direction to such an endeavor. Good luck with your decision making process.

Archived