Overfired Gas Kiln Today

Well this happens even to the old timers. I was loading my car kiln and a firing my small 12 cubic gas kiln to cone end point cone 11.

A friend came over to help work on my 250 hp outboard fuel system ( extremely complex )I checked kiln and cone 10 was almost down with a stiff cone 11.

I walked away saying I have to set a timer to remember as my head will be in the replacement of all fuel pumps in complex outboard system.

Starting loading up tools for job and spaced the timer and the kiln. Later my helper came out and said the cone was gone and I had that oh my god feeling. Turned off kiln without looking in. I will know on Friday what it looks like the digital pyro said 2500 even-the most its ever read.

I had glazed the whole load for a hot fire but not this hot. I'll follow up on friday as I/m firing car kiln all day tomorrow .

I feel like a space cadet now-its been a decade or more since I have done anything close to this.I'm glad the whole load is on advancers as glaze will not stick to them.

Mark

This is just as suspenseful as waiting for the New Horizons spacecraft to phone home and start downloading the closest approach photos. Let us know how it turns out. We're holding our breath and hoping for good news.

Paul

Kiln is still at 620 degrees so I am waiting till the am to crack to when its below 300 degrees. Today is 92 so cooling is a tad slower. I have the big car kiln firing and under my kiln area is 100 degrees right now.The studio is a cool 73 as its shut up with the cool evening air in it still.

Mark

No solenoids just a few simple valves-one for the pilot ring two for 6 burners.

I have the door open and it looks ok I can see few runners-its still 200 degrees. The bottom fires hotter-I loaded the hot glazes there and they look ok.

I'll unload and post photos later-we shall see what the whole story is. Cone 11 is flat on top shelve.

Mark

finding this interesting.  I know there is melting point for clay that varies between the different types of clay.  If it were an 04 Clay I suspect runnong up to Cone 2 would cause a melt down.  but when your talking about a Clay that is designed to run at Cone 11 I realy wonder how high it can go before you start getting a Melt down.

Yes I know glazes react differently to different temperatures and this was a glaze firing.  But I would suspect you could get interesting effects that could in some cases be positive with the excess heat.  The big fear would be deformity of the pieces if it hit that extreme of a heat level.  

One of the benefits of porcelain is it can take heat

I had 11 runners from this fire-as you can see cone 11 is toast the cone next to it is cone 10.

My satin matt is still buttery which is what I aim for.

Some of the pieces are spectacular as you would expect-zero body issues.

I'm feeling lucky

mark

post-8914-0-50510200-1437157386_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-87608800-1437157401_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-67987200-1437157417_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-11754800-1437157430_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-50510200-1437157386_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-87608800-1437157401_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-67987200-1437157417_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-11754800-1437157430_thumb.jpg

Had you just showed us the pictures, and not mentioned over-firing, no one would have guessed.  Beautiful work as always Mark!

You are no doubt paid up with the Kiln Gods.  What type of livestock do you slaughter for your offerings?

Archived