Sanding Bat For Pottery Wheel

jnapier

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever used a bat for the pottery wheel covered in sandpaper, to turn it into a circular sander?

I would've thought it would ber very very common but I can only find one reference, and its for grinding the bottom of fired pieces, not to sand existing ones.

Can anyone foresee any issues with gluing sandpaper to wooden bats, securing them to the wheel and using them to sand pieces?

Cheers!

Thanks for the thoughts- Its actually to sand slip cast pieces.

If I buy a few bats or maybe a double decker bat, to tuck the edges of the sandpaper between so I can easily replace, it would save me buying a proper sander.

Plus I don't know of any simple flat 'table' sanders anyway.

Glass blowers have a big carberundum stone that runs horizontally, for grinding the bottoms of pieces.

In pottery, we shouldn't need to grind so extensively.

If I let them,my high school students would sand all class until the piece broke in their fingers.

I just use a piece of coarse sand paper. quick two minuter, then done.

TJR.

In a related subject

I had a course self stick 12 inch round piece of sandpaper from Axner.com.

I stuck it to a wood bat and moved my wheel outside and resurfaced all my plaster bats to a new smooth surface. I wore a mask and used water to control the dust. Sanding pots will work but you will have a major dust issue you need to take precuations with.

If its seems you want to remove you should use a power sponge which uses water to remove the seem.

Mark

Archived