stacking greenware in the kiln

I've never stacked platters and plates on top of each other (without plate setters) for a bisque firing in my electric kiln -- worrying that they might warp. Am I right to think this, or can I safely stack plates and platters on top of each other and expect them to come out of the kiln the same shape they went in? I'm a newbie...but am trying to fire more efficiently. I'm using cone 6 white stoneware -- bisquing to cone 04. Thanks for any advice.

I've never stacked platters and plates on top of each other (without plate setters) for a bisque firing in my electric kiln -- worrying that they might warp. Am I right to think this, or can I safely stack plates and platters on top of each other and expect them to come out of the kiln the same shape they went in? I'm a newbie...but am trying to fire more efficiently. I'm using cone 6 white stoneware -- bisquing to cone 04. Thanks for any advice.

You can stack them lip to lip or stack them nested inside the one below with a good bed of grog to eliminate stress and warping.

I have done it both ways. If the lips are thin or weak, nest them.

Make sure they are good and dry.

Marciia

Thanks Marcia. For my pieces nesting seems like the best option.

I would NOT go over 4 or 5 depending on how they feel...if they are heavy, etc. Put the heaviest on the bottom and so forth.

Lip to lip...same considerations...maybe 3 sets...depends on the thickness especially the lips.

Marcia

Thanks Marcia. For my pieces nesting seems like the best option.

I would go over 4 or 5 depending on how they feel...if they are heavy, etc. Put the heaviest on the bottom and so forth.

Lip to lip...same considerations...maybe 3 sets...depends on the thickness especially the lips.

Marcia

Marcia, I'm sure you meant to say .... 'not' go over 4 or 5 depending... wink.gif

Sometimes those quick, light touches on the keyboard just don't seem to trigger any electrical impulses...biggrin.gif

yes, I meant to say do not go over 4 or 5 stack in a nest.

Thanks Ameriswede.

I was on early this morning drinking my coffee...evidently not enough!

Marcia

I hate to differ with some of the posts here, but have been stacking what I call patens(communion service platters) for years now. In the past stacks of flat patens with low rims would have problems with cracking in the rims if they were stacked to high in box manner. I started boxing only two to a set and that worked fine. Later evolution of these came about because of the return to whole loaves for communion. Often these loaves would be torn and stacked. A flat paten did not work as well so these became somewhat bowl shaped with large flaring rims. I find I can box stack four to five in a stack without a rim crack problem. The physics of the flare, as opposed to the flat rim here I think makes a big difference.

Archived