Vent Not Turned On During Bisque

scissors

The purpose of the vent is for the potter, not the clay. As pots are bisqued, they give off sulfur dioxide which is nasty to breathe. If your bisqueware made it, no need to re-do it.

TJR.

The vent is for the wares and the potter but since the clay is now sintered, rebisque fire will not get any more of the potential problems out; once sintered, the clay cannot release those gasses until near top temp when the clay is as close to molten as it gets.

• 2 weeks later...

The vent is for the wares and the potter but since the clay is now sintered, rebisque fire will not get any more of the potential problems out; once sintered, the clay cannot release those gasses until near top temp when the clay is as close to molten as it gets.

No doubt one would rather have off-gassing completed at a lower temperature, but I just wonder if there might not be some positive effect even after the clay has already been to bisque temps.  My impression of sintering was always that it was just the welding/joining of the tips of the clay particles.  A bisqued clay body is still very porous so I would have thought that (in principle) gases could still escape. 

Not advocating going to all the trouble and expense of re-firing unless you know for certain you are going to have some bloating issues. but just a thought.  Maybe I am missing something?

Archived