Feel Like I Am Hitting A Brick Wall - Perhaps You Have Experienced This?

Gisselle,

At this point you are in training to learn a new trade. You could be in school learning to be a nurse and have the same issues. With that in mind, is there a studio in town where you could work part time? The exposure to others working methods is valuable in itself, and if they can't pay cash, perhaps private lessons or free clay or some exchange could be worked out.

Also, decide for yourself what's really important to your family life and let the rest go. Home made dinner is nice, but it's time eating together that's more important to me. Adding layers of stress because society tells us to be "doing it all" will just drive you nuts. Kids really can amuse themselves. They will still thrive even if you take the time to clean. And a clean workspace equals better working habits, which means more money when you are trying to sell in quantity. Also, you can have them help with the chores-it builds character!

I think everyone I know that does ceramics for a living does some things just for the money (basic pottery), but they also do their own things on the side maybe for shows or maybe just for their own pleasure.  I think making a living off of purely sculptural art is far more difficult.  I also think you just have to always always be trying new things.  You say you've hit a brick wall, but there's literally endless inspiration.  Try writing your own artist statement if you haven't already.  I think that will help you realize what inspires you.

As for technical skills, college may teach you those, but I think just asking fellow classmates/ ceramicists their ideas on how to make these specific things is what you need to do and you don't necessarily need a workshop or college course for that.  At this time, I feel like I've honestly learned just as much online watching videos and reading as I did in college art classes about ceramics. 

So basically, always be trying new stuff, talk to people about what you want to do, and research techniques online or at the library.

• 2 weeks later...

This has been a wonderful and inspiring thread. Such good advice for experience and wisdom. Funny how so many of use are in the same position. I am recently divorced. Last summer, knowing what was coming, I worked very hard to improve my skills. I threw and recycled the same 200 lbs. of clay about 8 times. I was throwing several hours a day, 7 days a week. By November I took my 3 kids and left. It has been a real struggle. Making glazes has turned out to be more difficult than I imagine. But I'm home when the kids walk in. Even though I'm working a lot, we couldn't be happier. Things will improve in Oct. My girl/boy twins, 16 will get their drivers license and the 14 yo.will be able to walk to school.

You will get over this bump and figure out, even if slowly coming,how to manage it all. I'm just grateful to be able to throw clay for a living, even if it's the same blue bowls and mugs, and not have to drive into the city to sit in a dreary office behind a desk.

Side note, my kids help a lot to make things work. They take turns with me fixing dinner, do their own laundry, help each other with homework, have chores like feed the dog, empty dishwasher, take out the trash, etc. Kids can usually rise up to the occasion when expected to do so. If you explain to your kids, that if helped around the house, to free you to work, you won't have to work outside the home, they may rise to the occasion. Good luck.

Archived