$40 "envirovent" For Electric Kiln

Looks good but I thought those extractors needed holes on the outside to draw in air to cool the kiln exhausts.

Correct. There should be some way for room air to enter the system to cool the kiln air. The air going out the wall should be under 150F degrees, like a clothes dryer. Could be we just can't see it in the photos.

Mine cost about $80. You must of got a better deal on the fan. Looks same as mine. I didn't want to drill holes in the bottom of my kiln. I drilled holes in the bottom peep. Then using a coat hanger suspended the flexible vent hose from the peep directly above. The fan is strong enough that the vent hose is pulled against the outside of the kiln by negative pressure. There is enough air drawn though the crack at the lid for good flow. I did add some holes to the vent hose before the fan to ensure it was cool enough. As the fan ages I can go back and cover them to maintain a good draft.

• 4 weeks later...

I am burning my elements out prematurely.. I was told that i could get 40% longer life out of them if i add a vent...

If that is true, it would put me at around 118 firings... does that number sound correct?

I replaced my elements this past winter after 100 firings; glaze firings (cone 6) had increased in time from just over 8 hours to 10 1/2 hours . . . using the same slow glaze program.  Bisque firings were running about the same.  And, I fire with my vent on from start to ready to unload. 

I am burning my elements out prematurely.. I was told that i could get 40% longer life out of them if i add a vent...

If that is true, it would put me at around 118 firings... does that number sound correct?

40%, no way. You may see slightly longer element life, but not 40%. You should be able to get 100 to 150 cone 6 firings out of a set of elements. Tell us about your kiln firing schedules and maybe we can find the reason for the short life.

kiln was new in 2004 still crated when i bought last year... scared to fire all 3 sections because of 50 amp breaker and it needs a 60 amp so im using 2 sections of it... i know im not getting all of the 44 amps of power , im around 30... No kiln vent

Manual kiln. clay is bone dry or it dont go in... top peep out, cracked lid- Low for 2 hrs Medium for 3 then high til it trips- put peep in shut lid when i get color

Glaze firing - low 1 hr then medium for 2 then high til it trips= wait 30 minutes then turn kiln on medium high for 1 hr then cool

edit- Neil i also noticed a slight hum noise the past 2 firings? it didnt do it all the time but it did do it for long intervals.. Maybe a switch going bad?

in 3 small places i have tight windings, almost touching.. definately not factory, alot closer together...

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a limit to how long you can make the duct between the blower and the exhaust vent at the outdoor opening?  I want to site my kiln in the back corner of the basement where it will be against 2 concrete walls (with appropriate clearance).  However it I go straight up the wall I have to go all the way to the sill plate between floors before I can drill an opening for the exhaust vent.  And I don't want to drill that big a hole in the sill plate anyway.  If I can run the ducting up then over about 10 ft, the concrete foundation steps down and I can easily drill through standard exterior wall.

Archived