Variations On Shino...

HAUKSBEE

Returning to pottery after a hiatus of several years, I dug out my old glaze notes and got ready to mix up a batch of Shino. I 've got two recipes. After a little poking around on the 'net, I find that Shino (as we know it) was re-discovered and formulated by two Japanese potters in the '30's, and one American, a bit later. What I'd like to find is a good compendimum of Shino recipes, hopefully one well illustrated with examples. I did find reference to "American Shino: The Glaze of a Thousand Faces", but a search on Amazon.com turned up only one used copy for $250...a little more than I'd hope to pay. Any suggestions?

Guest JBaymore

Hauksbee,

I was in the second invitational shino exhibition that Malcolm put together a while back that happened in conjunction with the Baltimore NCECA (Shino Review 2005: Endless Variations). They did a disk/postcard publication of all of the works in the exhibition and each of our glaze recipes. If I remember correctly.... about 85-90 invited artists. It was published by Baltimore Clayworks. You might contact them to see if the thng is still available....either in printed or digital format.

Hope this lead helps.

best,

..................john

Returning to pottery after a hiatus of several years, I dug out my old glaze notes and got ready to mix up a batch of Shino. I 've got two recipes. After a little poking around on the 'net, I find that Shino (as we know it) was re-discovered and formulated by two Japanese potters in the '30's, and one American, a bit later. What I'd like to find is a good compendimum of Shino recipes, hopefully one well illustrated with examples. I did find reference to "American Shino: The Glaze of a Thousand Faces", but a search on Amazon.com turned up only one used copy for $250...a little more than I'd hope to pay. Any suggestions?

I have just tested a bunch of those and if you need the recipes let me know.

John Britt

www.johnbrittpottery.com

I have just tested a bunch of those and if you need the recipes let me know.

Thank you John. That would be very generous of you.

You can also go to :

http://ncclayclub.blogspot.com

and search for "shino" . Lot of recipes and descriptions on how with images.

John

What a wonderful site.  I have it now bookmarked ( thank you ) 

• 1 month later...

Hauksbee,

I was in the second invitational shino exhibition that Malcolm put together a while back that happened in conjunction with the Baltimore NCECA (Shino Review 2005: Endless Variations). They did a disk/postcard publication of all of the works in the exhibition and each of our glaze recipes. If I remember correctly.... about 85-90 invited artists. It was published by Baltimore Clayworks. You might contact them to see if the thng is still available....either in printed or digital format.

Hope this lead helps.

best,

..................john

Do you know if they did anything like that for the Shino Redux 2010 show? There were some really nice glazes there like the Taconite Luster and Ellen's Blue that I would really like to experiment with, but haven't been able to fine recipes for.

Thanks,

~Benjamin

Archived