can i still get up to temp?

if one of my switches/elements is out?

the 2nd one from the top out of 5 may or may not be working. of course i dont know this until i get half way through a firing.

do i continue? or shut down now?

If an element has burned out, your kiln will stall out well below its top temperature.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Guest HerbNorris

Arnold is right, you won't make the TOP temperature of your kiln, especially if it is cone six or ten. But if you are firing to a low enough temp, it might stilll make it. Is it bisque at cone 04? Or are you firing to a temp low enough to keep burnishing intact, like cone 012? It might still make it.

Your final temp will determine if your kiln can make it, and it will take longer than normal.

ok, thats what i figured. im firing to 06, so if the cone doesnt drop at the expected time, then that would be a clue.

i do think its working ok, and i peeked in the kiln and saw it was on. just took a minute. i just know one of these firings soon, some of the rings arent going to work as i have no way of knowing how old the switches or elements are.

i got stuck having to replace two switches after i tried to fire 3 times, but its a good thing i have an electrician friend!

thanks!

the 2nd one from the top out of 5 may or may not be working. of course i dont know this until i get half way through a firing.

If an element has burned out, your kiln will stall out well below its top temperature.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

How exactly can you tell when an element is out? I can see into my peepholes but have a really hard time seeing what's going on. I don't really know what I am looking at. Would that part of the kiln then be less glowing?

I had an issue with the kiln flashing FTH (it's a Paragon) My first thought was that it might be an element. The paragon web site which is wonderful by the way, said there was no reason to shut off the kiln so I just watched and waited. Later it flashed FTL At that point I turned it off as I was pretty sure it was in cool down and then I kinda assumed I did something wrong programming wise. I fully expected to have to refire my pots but everything came out beautifully. Not to hijack this thread but how would I know if one was not working ?

Renee

How exactly can you tell when an element is out? I can see into my peepholes but have a really hard time seeing what's going on. I don't really know what I am looking at. Would that part of the kiln then be less glowing?

The center elements in many kilns (including Paragon) do not glow brightly even at high temperatures. You can tell they are on by a dull glow. The top and bottom elements glow brighter because they are designed to produce more heat than the center elements. Witness cones are much easier to see against a bright element than a dull one.

There are several ways to check an element. Place a small piece of paper in the groove of each element and turn the kiln on for a few minutes. Turn off the kiln. The elements that turn on will scorch the paper. A far more reliable method is to test the kiln with a multimeter. Here is a video that shows how:

http://www.paragonwe...Info.cfm?VID=53

You can watch it on Youtube if you prefer:

http://www.youtube.c.../31/UsDdQaIO7FI

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

I had an issue with the kiln flashing FTH (it's a Paragon) My first thought was that it might be an element. The paragon web site which is wonderful by the way, said there was no reason to shut off the kiln so I just watched and waited. Later it flashed FTL At that point I turned it off as I was pretty sure it was in cool down and then I kinda assumed I did something wrong programming wise. I fully expected to have to refire my pots but everything came out beautifully. Not to hijack this thread but how would I know if one was not working ?

Renee

As Arnold has said the paper bit works well to check the elements. Then if needed order new elements. At the same time I would sometimes be in a bind, and not have a spare as I usually kept them on hand. If in that situation, I would jury rig the kiln for a firing or maybe even 2-3. Try this: Unplug the kiln or turn off the breaker disconnect if hard wired. find the break in the element if more than one will not work. gently overlap the two ends - they should hold in place. paint a small amount of water on the join area. Plug in the kiln or reset breaker and turn on the power for that section to high for a few seconds. It should spot weld the element in place and be good for maybe 3 firings. I have used this several times at home and at school and it works. The best solution however is to have a few spare elements on hand at all time to cover any element burn out. If you are not on a deadline-wait for the elements to arrive-I am assuming here that you are able to make repairs in your kiln, or get someone to do it that knows what they are doing.

The center elements in many kilns (including Paragon) do not glow brightly even at high temperatures. You can tell they are on by a dull glow. The top and bottom elements glow brighter because they are designed to produce more heat than the center elements. Witness cones are much easier to see against a bright element than a dull one.

There are several ways to check an element. Place a small piece of paper in the groove of each element and turn the kiln on for a few minutes. Turn off the kiln. The elements that turn on will scorch the paper. A far more reliable method is to test the kiln with a multimeter. Here is a video that shows how:

http://www.paragonwe...Info.cfm?VID=53

You can watch it on Youtube if you prefer:

http://www.youtube.c.../31/UsDdQaIO7FI

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

I have a multi meter :-) Up until now only the husband has used it.

Many Thanks

Renee

ok, thats what i figured. im firing to 06, so if the cone doesnt drop at the expected time, then that would be a clue.

i do think its working ok, and i peeked in the kiln and saw it was on. just took a minute. i just know one of these firings soon, some of the rings arent going to work as i have no way of knowing how old the switches or elements are.

i got stuck having to replace two switches after i tried to fire 3 times, but its a good thing i have an electrician friend!

thanks!

I would have my electrician friend call the kiln co and get the Ome rating for the elements and switches and check them all it might be time to replace them all. If your kiln is not proforming at its best you are wasting alot of money in the form of electric bills. Just a thought. happy firing.

Paul

Archived