Iron Crytalline Glaze Cone-Oxidation Or Reduction-Cone10

OK this is arare event-a glaze in magazine that turns out exactly as in the book.

I was reading last months CM (ceramics monthly) and saw a iron glaze that caught my eye

So I mixed it up as a sample in 1,000 grams and tried it in a reduction fire to cone 10 and a half

It also works cooler as well in a cone 9 area of the kiln-slow cooling=more cystals

WOW it turned out eactly as in the photo-now thats a rare thing folks.

Heres the recipe out of May CM issue

Its credit goes to emerging artist Alex Thullen-not sure if its his creation?

Iron Crystalline glaze cone 11-12 Oxidation

Synthetic bone ash----12%

Talc------------------------9

Whiting--------------------9

Custar Feldspar---------48

EPK Kaolin----------------6

Silica (325 mesh)--------16

----------------------------100%

add Red Iron Oxide(synthetic)-11.5%

I suggest using these exact ingredients for best results

get some high purity iron and the right bone ash

most should have the rest lying around in the studio

You can see his photo on the May issue page 87

Heres some of my work after a few more fires using this glaze and mixing up a 10,000 gram batch

one last note this stuff will stain your clothes if you get it on them-I use glaze clothes every week but many may not have a set-you will after working with this one you will have a set.

Mark

PS could a moderator please move this to the glaze forum as I posted it in wrong space-thanks

post-8914-0-99506300-1433209085_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-99506300-1433209085_thumb.jpg

Is that all one glaze, or do you have a second glaze next to it?

It kind of looks like a low fire, commercial "Freckled Brown" I use in my classroom.  It's one of those rare colors, that both myself and my students like.

The mug on right has one glaze on it (the Iron crystal) the bowl is many many glazes but the iron one is down the middle (the reddish color)

Its all cone 10 reduction glazes

Mark

Gorgeous iron red Mark!

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on using iron reds inside bowls, mugs, plates etc. I love iron reds but don't use them much since they always seem to be short on silica and alumina in order to get that drop dead gorgeous colour. I know there isn't much concern with iron leaching, for most people, but I have some concerns over the durability of them.

The recipe Mark posted from Alex Thullen is a lot better than most I have seen. At ^6 I've yet to try one with silica and alumina as high as these and still get red. 

Not trying to stir the pot, just open to peoples thoughts on this.

This glaze seems to be tougher (scratch resistant) than any of my True reds (copper) or say a cobalt blue base. My other Iron glaze I have used for decades is also very durable.I have some iron reds on stoneware that has lasted for 4 decades as well.

I cannot speak to cone 6 as I have less than zero experience there. 

Mark

In Australia we call this glaze 'tomato red' even though it is unlike the red of a tomato. I read somewhere that the red colour is iron phosphate made by the combination of phosphorus from the bone ash and iron in the iron oxide. Does anyone know?

Archived